What's new
What's new

Bardons & Oliver 2 turret lathe

Marshall Henderson

Hot Rolled
Since everyone here has been batting 100%, I am throwing a curve ball. I'm betting on another home run :D :D

Any info on this one? Bardons & Oliver #2 turret lathe. Range of years built, weight, etc.....

I think that it has complete set of collets and maybe some tooling.

Have no pictures, yet. I am hoping for a digital camera for Christmas. That way I can have the old digital with me when I am out hunting cast iron.
and the wife can have the new one.

Marshall

Since everyone here has been batting 100%, I am throwing a curve ball. I'm betting on another home run :D :D

Any info on this one? Bardons & Oliver #2 turret lathe. Range of years built, weight, etc.....

I think that it has complete set of collets and maybe some tooling.

Have no pictures, yet. I am hoping for a digital camera for Christmas. That way I can have the old digital with me when I am out hunting cast iron.
and the wife can have the new one.

Marshall

I have a 302 page August, 1909 B & O catalog,
Turret Lathes,' that lists several types of #2's, depending on how much base equipment was to be ordered. They could be had with very little--a 'plain head' without much else--which might have been an attractive little machine--was listed as weighing with countershaft only 780 pounds. This seems to have been intended for brass pipe threading.

The fully accoutered #2 (which it looks like they were pushing, as this lathe series was listed first in the catalog), was a relatively small lathe with a 1" bar capacity. Weight with countershaft 1165 pounds. With Plain Head, Chuck and Wire Feed, Oil Pump and Oil Pan.

'Capacity--Threaded work on soft steel up to 7/16" US Std, and larger sizes on brass or on finer pitches.'

I stepped up to my first digital camera--my daughter's discrd when she bought a better one.

Northernsinger

I have a 302 page August, 1909 B & O catalog,
Turret Lathes,' that lists several types of #2's, depending on how much base equipment was to be ordered. They could be had with very little--a 'plain head' without much else--which might have been an attractive little machine--was listed as weighing with countershaft only 780 pounds. This seems to have been intended for brass pipe threading.

The fully accoutered #2 (which it looks like they were pushing, as this lathe series was listed first in the catalog), was a relatively small lathe with a 1" bar capacity. Weight with countershaft 1165 pounds. With Plain Head, Chuck and Wire Feed, Oil Pump and Oil Pan.

'Capacity--Threaded work on soft steel up to 7/16" US Std, and larger sizes on brass or on finer pitches.'

I stepped up to my first digital camera--my daughter's discrd when she bought a better one.

Northernsinger

Hello Marshall;

Wow, another Bardons & Oliver! I've got a little No.0 model that I'm restoring right now. There's a thread with pictures and discussion on it back in the spring. I'll be glad to share any info with you. Do you own it yet?

I have the 1912 catalog (a book, really) similar to Northernsinger's. My catalog shows the No.2 being available in five versions, including one with power feed of the turret slide. There's a page of general specs. Is there anything else in particular that you wanted to know?

The ones we're talking about are open flat belt drive, with a big exposed cone pulley in the headstock. If that's what yours is, then it's from the 1900 to 1925 era.

In my catalog, they were starting to introduce enclosed geared head, motor drive lathes in the larger sizes. So, I presume that by the '30's all of their lathes were that style. I don't know much about their product lines during the WWII years. As was pointed out in the earlier thread, Bardons & Oliver is still surviving today, a small specialty machine tool company in Ohio. These days they build customized CNC machinery.

Bruce Johnson

Hello Marshall;

Wow, another Bardons & Oliver! I've got a little No.0 model that I'm restoring right now. There's a thread with pictures and discussion on it back in the spring. I'll be glad to share any info with you. Do you own it yet?

I have the 1912 catalog (a book, really) similar to Northernsinger's. My catalog shows the No.2 being available in five versions, including one with power feed of the turret slide. There's a page of general specs. Is there anything else in particular that you wanted to know?

The ones we're talking about are open flat belt drive, with a big exposed cone pulley in the headstock. If that's what yours is, then it's from the 1900 to 1925 era.

In my catalog, they were starting to introduce enclosed geared head, motor drive lathes in the larger sizes. So, I presume that by the '30's all of their lathes were that style. I don't know much about their product lines during the WWII years. As was pointed out in the earlier thread, Bardons & Oliver is still surviving today, a small specialty machine tool company in Ohio. These days they build customized CNC machinery.

Bruce Johnson

It got away from me!
Still working on several small pieces of lineshafting that is hanging in this shop, plus a couple of older cone drive horizontal mills, about the size of a B&S OY or slightly bigger. These are still in the corner, covered with other bits and pieces,have not gotten close enough to ID them yet.

They have another B&O that they still use every month or so. I think that it will come up for grabs sometime in the near future.

Will turn my attention and limited money supply on the Lodge Davis lathe that is for sale on EBAY.

When I get the film developed I will post the pics of the B&O that got away.

Marshall

It got away from me!
Still working on several small pieces of lineshafting that is hanging in this shop, plus a couple of older cone drive horizontal mills, about the size of a B&S OY or slightly bigger. These are still in the corner, covered with other bits and pieces,have not gotten close enough to ID them yet.

They have another B&O that they still use every month or so. I think that it will come up for grabs sometime in the near future.

Will turn my attention and limited money supply on the Lodge Davis lathe that is for sale on EBAY.

When I get the film developed I will post the pics of the B&O that got away.

Marshall

That thing looks so original, I would send the pix to B&O.

They might want it for the front lobby.

Back