What's new
What's new

barn find lathe

andy willi

Plastic
hi all i am new on here so please be careful with me ,not new to owning a lathe as i have a myford ml 7 , but two weeks ago i did a garage clearance and acquired a small lathe i have searched for it on the net but cannot find it so i wonder can anyone identify it for me

many thanks

andy

Attachments

• IMG_20190713_164650.jpg
    IMG_20190713_164650.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20190713_164710.jpg
    IMG_20190713_164710.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_20190713_164714_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20190713_164714_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_20190713_164719.jpg
    IMG_20190713_164719.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_20190713_164731.jpg
    IMG_20190713_164731.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 360
It's a Randa type A or one of the similar clones. The pulley cutout in the headstock is a little more squared-off than the Type A pics I've found but it's definitely 'of that ilk'. There were a lot of near-copies on the same design.

More of an ornament than a tool you have there IMO.

Randa Lathes

In my (often hard won!!) experience, when it comes to machine tools, barn finds such as yours are best left where they are, ….or if their clearance is part of the deal to get good gear, then they're passed on ASAHP. (as in don't even scrape the crap off them :D)

Yup. Peter has it. Randa, either directly or via badge engineering from another brand. Generally I'd agree with Limey and metal-ica as to the POS and pass it on like a hot potato status. But someone has put a lot of work into that with the home brew power cross feed and careful mounting on proper stand.

So if its not well worn it might be capable of doing a half decent job on smaller work for someone prepared to work old style without dials. Heck if its really good it might even be worth putting a cheap DRO set on it to get round the lack of dials.

That said I can barely remember being young enough and desperate enough to pick something like that up to put to work. (Pools Special in 1974 if it matters, traded on at profit for a SouthBend 9C a year later).

Clive

Eons & eons ago (when I knew no better) I was given - yes given as in free, gratis and for nothing - a Grayson Grayson Lathes which is the same meat but different gravy, ……….and shudder to think of the number of hours and amount of effort I put in to that machine - only to still have a piece of junk! ..which was shoved under the bench.

Come a mega clean up and ''thinning out of accumulated crap'', I wanted rid of the Grayson (and with no comebacks) I put it in to a local country weekly auction, ………...only to nigh collapse when I went to collect and discovered 3 buyers had wanted it, to the tune of £240 :eek:

What's that saying now? oh yeah ;-Ignorance is bliss, ……….they should have added ;- and bloody expensive.

What's that saying now? oh yeah ;-Ignorance is bliss, ……….they should have added ;- and bloody expensive.

ROFL!

The EXPENSE some folks will go to in order to be seen as proper, moral, and dedicated hobbyists or "model engineers"!

Oh well. It is better for society than some OTHER obsessions:

10 'Philes' and their weird obsessions | Bulldogz Comment & Culture|English

Or so the grownups claim?

Unless.. the alternative is TDS... or is it now BDS? Brexit Derangement Syndrome.

Eons & eons ago (when I knew no better) I was given - yes given as in free, gratis and for nothing - a Grayson Grayson Lathes which is the same meat but different gravy, ……….and shudder to think of the number of hours and amount of effort I put in to that machine - only to still have a piece of junk! ..which was shoved under the bench.

Come a mega clean up and ''thinning out of accumulated crap'', I wanted rid of the Grayson (and with no comebacks) I put it in to a local country weekly auction, ………...only to nigh collapse when I went to collect and discovered 3 buyers had wanted it, to the tune of £240 :eek:

Nobody ever said education was free.....

Been there myself, learned a lot from the process, including when to pass on the LSO to someone else.

To the OP, I'm with the others. It looks sort of like a lathe, it might cut metal, kind of, but it's never going to be more than a bloody headache. I'd leave it right where it is, myself.

PDW

Back