What's new
What's new

Barnes 4-1/2 Info Needed...

KellyJons

Plastic
Hi fellows -

I have become interested in using treadle lathes for cutting metal, and it seems like the Barnes 4-1/2 metal cutting lathe would be perfect for me. I do have some experience using foot-powered lathes, having built (several years ago) a treadle wood lathe that I found in one of Roy Underhill’s books.

My teenage son has begun to show a real interest in metalturning, so I want to encourage him as much as possible, and I know that he and I would have a great time together as we learned to use a treadle metal lathe like this.

The problem is, I don’t know really how to get started. We do have a long-bed Sherline lathe that we use for model making and telescope parts, so we are somewhat proficient at lathe use, but the bigger Barnes treadle lathe is a whole new kettle of fish.

Is there a book or manual somewhere on getting started with and using antique metal lathes like the Barnes? And to whom would we turn if we wanted to buy one? We are not looking for a lathe project... I don’t have time to waste, since my son will be leaving for college in a few years and I would want to get right to some father-and-son turning with him! Getting as complete a treadle lathe as possible would be our goal.

I’ve looked a bit on eBay but haven’t had much luck, and what little that’s there seems to be overpriced… Or maybe these lathes are worth a lot more than I expected.

Any hints, tips, or tricks for getting started with a Barnes 4 1/2 lathe would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Kelly

Kelly,

Welcome to the forum and glad to see somebody else who is interested in foot powered machinery!! First here is a link to a video on my website on the 4 1/2. YouTube Here is another link to a video on The Story of Foot Powered Machinery that provides more insight into all this. YouTube There are also other videos on the website as well Home Page - Foot Powered Machinery on other foot powered machinery.

The 4 1/2 is perhaps the most often found of foot powered metal lathes, if there is such thing as any "often found" complete foot powered metal lathe. You might also consider the #5 as it is a step up from the smallest full back geared metal lathe ( 4 1/2) made by Barnes. I have a friend that has a #5 that has done some very impressive work on his #5!!

Finding complete ones today is very difficult at any reasonable price. In my experience, $4K plus is not in the reasonable range. A word of advice is to stay away from one that is missing the major foot powered parts as there are not available as far as I know. (Been collecting and restoring foot powered machinery for 30 plus years and have had a number of these over the years.) Just keep your eyes open as they do show up from time to time.

Good luck!

Thanks Ed

Back