What's new
What's new

Barnes 4.5 lathe sold at NC auction for $3000 plus fees

I'm pretty sure that is a No. 5. Three pedals, LARGE 104 tooth gear, 4-1/2 has an overall smaller apron.

Yup, the gear change plate (upside down) says 5.

Lot of money. Perhaps the association with Underhill and the show? Boxes don't seem to be the shipping boxes, although my calibrated eye is long past due on its recalibration date.

Joe in NH

Golly! I had one just like that,less the treadle and seat,that I sold for £100 not long ago.

$150 US actually would be typical for a "strip modified" Barnes. MANY seats, flywheels, pedals were removed with the advent of grid electricity and electric motors. Without the pedal parts the lathes become simply "another lathe" and competes with those who shall not be named and any other brand of small home-owner lathes.

I have a 4-1/2 which came to me with legs and flywheel. I have another $300 (cheap) in parts to bring it to full pedal model total about $650. Flywheels are the hardest thing to find and usually run $350.

I have another 4-1/2 upstairs minus legs, flywheel, pedals, seat (benchtop?) I bought for $150.

One wonders what happened to all the flywheels, pedals, seats and underarms. A seat and underarm I bought from another NH gentleman for $60. He knew instinctively the seat was more special than the typical agricultural seat.

Generally, if you have an incomplete non-pedal Barnes, it is financially unviable to try to restore it. Better to find a complete Barnes and pay the ticket. UNLESS you're willing to wait - and buy well.

But not everything in life is about money.

Joe in NH

I'm pretty sure that is a No. 5. Three pedals, LARGE 104 tooth gear, 4-1/2 has an overall smaller apron.

Yup, the gear change plate (upside down) says 5.

Lot of money. Perhaps the association with Underhill and the show? Boxes don't seem to be the shipping boxes, although my calibrated eye is long past due on its recalibration date.

Joe in NH

Here is a 2012 PBS video of Roy using a Barnes metal lathe with two pedals, apparently a 4-1/2 and certainly not the lathe in the auction.
Screw Cuttin’ Lathe

Here is a video of Roy's back as he pedals a 3-pedal Barnes wood lathe, turning wood in his school, not the PBS set.
Barnes Treadle Saw & Pedal Lathe at the Woodwright's School - YouTube

and another that shows the lathe better. Underhill Turning.mov

Larry

$150 US actually would be typical for a "strip modified" Barnes. MANY seats, flywheels, pedals were removed with the advent of grid electricity and electric motors. Without the pedal parts the lathes become simply "another lathe" and competes with those who shall not be named and any other brand of small home-owner lathes.

I have a 4-1/2 which came to me with legs and flywheel. I have another $300 (cheap) in parts to bring it to full pedal model total about $650. Flywheels are the hardest thing to find and usually run $350.

I have another 4-1/2 upstairs minus legs, flywheel, pedals, seat (benchtop?) I bought for $150.

One wonders what happened to all the flywheels, pedals, seats and underarms. A seat and underarm I bought from another NH gentleman for $60. He knew instinctively the seat was more special than the typical agricultural seat.

Generally, if you have an incomplete non-pedal Barnes, it is financially unviable to try to restore it. Better to find a complete Barnes and pay the ticket. UNLESS you're willing to wait - and buy well.

But not everything in life is about money.

Joe in NH

^ this times infinity. As usual, very well said Joe. :)

Back