Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Barnes 4.5 lathe sold at NC auction for $3000 plus fees

Local auction sold a few antiques at pretty good prices. I was too busy preparing for the hurricane to attend the viewing.

Barnes No. 4 1/2 Screw cutting lathe 1889 Complete with boxes of original tooling This lathe was

They had several modern manual mills and lathes as well as asst tooling etc.

CLT Auctions | Machine Shop, Vintage Machinery & Woodworking lots

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, that thing is amazing and certainly worth $3K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm pretty sure that is a No. 5. Three pedals, LARGE 104 tooth gear, 4-1/2 has an overall smaller apron.

Yup, the gear change plate (upside down) says 5.

Lot of money. Perhaps the association with Underhill and the show? Boxes don't seem to be the shipping boxes, although my calibrated eye is long past due on its recalibration date.

Joe in NH

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pedalling the lathe in reverse all day must have made it fun when you got on the bike to ride home at night!

5. Likes lienjohn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Golly! I had one just like that,less the treadle and seat,that I sold for £100 not long ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TedinNorfolk View Post
    Golly! I had one just like that,less the treadle and seat,that I sold for £100 not long ago.
    $150 US actually would be typical for a "strip modified" Barnes. MANY seats, flywheels, pedals were removed with the advent of grid electricity and electric motors. Without the pedal parts the lathes become simply "another lathe" and competes with those who shall not be named and any other brand of small home-owner lathes.

I have a 4-1/2 which came to me with legs and flywheel. I have another $300 (cheap) in parts to bring it to full pedal model total about $650. Flywheels are the hardest thing to find and usually run $350.

I have another 4-1/2 upstairs minus legs, flywheel, pedals, seat (benchtop?) I bought for $150.

One wonders what happened to all the flywheels, pedals, seats and underarms. A seat and underarm I bought from another NH gentleman for $60. He knew instinctively the seat was more special than the typical agricultural seat.

Generally, if you have an incomplete non-pedal Barnes, it is financially unviable to try to restore it. Better to find a complete Barnes and pay the ticket. UNLESS you're willing to wait - and buy well.

But not everything in life is about money.

Joe in NH

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in NH View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is a No. 5. Three pedals, LARGE 104 tooth gear, 4-1/2 has an overall smaller apron.

Yup, the gear change plate (upside down) says 5.

Lot of money. Perhaps the association with Underhill and the show? Boxes don't seem to be the shipping boxes, although my calibrated eye is long past due on its recalibration date.

Joe in NH
    Here is a 2012 PBS video of Roy using a Barnes metal lathe with two pedals, apparently a 4-1/2 and certainly not the lathe in the auction.
    Screw Cuttin’ Lathe

Here is a video of Roy's back as he pedals a 3-pedal Barnes wood lathe, turning wood in his school, not the PBS set.
    Barnes Treadle Saw & Pedal Lathe at the Woodwright's School - YouTube

and another that shows the lathe better. Underhill Turning.mov

Larry

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in NH View Post
    $150 US actually would be typical for a "strip modified" Barnes. MANY seats, flywheels, pedals were removed with the advent of grid electricity and electric motors. Without the pedal parts the lathes become simply "another lathe" and competes with those who shall not be named and any other brand of small home-owner lathes.

I have a 4-1/2 which came to me with legs and flywheel. I have another $300 (cheap) in parts to bring it to full pedal model total about $650. Flywheels are the hardest thing to find and usually run $350.

I have another 4-1/2 upstairs minus legs, flywheel, pedals, seat (benchtop?) I bought for $150.

One wonders what happened to all the flywheels, pedals, seats and underarms. A seat and underarm I bought from another NH gentleman for $60. He knew instinctively the seat was more special than the typical agricultural seat.

Generally, if you have an incomplete non-pedal Barnes, it is financially unviable to try to restore it. Better to find a complete Barnes and pay the ticket. UNLESS you're willing to wait - and buy well.

But not everything in life is about money.

Joe in NH
    ^ this times infinity. As usual, very well said Joe.