What's new
What's new

Barnes lathe drive on Maine fb market place

maynah

Stainless
Looks complete with flywheel, sprocket, 2 sets of legs, pedal assembly and a few small bits.
$500 maybe a bit high but try to find them somewhere. (keep the best legs sell the others)
They're listed as "industrial legs".
Not mine.

Attachments

• Barnes drive.jpg
    Barnes drive.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Barnes drive2.jpg
    Barnes drive2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 81
With three foot pedals this is likely the setup for a Barnes 5. Barnes 4-1/2 were made in "three pedal" versions, but the extension was not common. By the time came for a choice between an extended 4-1/2 and a 5 the farmer usually chose the 5 with its slightly larger swing and usefulness.

$500 is not a bad price for four legs and more especially the flywheel. You just don't see flywheels.

The 4-1/2 and 5 flywheels are made from the same casting, just machined differently (belt width) for the two different machines.

I wonder what happened to the rest of the machines?

Joe in NH

Joe, I was going to send you the link in a PM but your inbox is full.
Hiram is not that far from you.

Joe, I was going to send you the link in a PM but your inbox is full.
Hiram is not that far from you.

I actually got to the listing ("Industrial legs") but as I have 2 almost complete Barnes lathes (a 5 and a 4.5) and another Barnes in pieces (legs but no velocipede for that) I guess I would consider the stable full.

So I have passed.

Old iron does have a natural tendency to multiply. I'm now on iron contraceptive for this.

Joe in NH

I could use the pedals, that is the last piece of the puzzle for my grandpas old number 5View attachment 320785

Measure that No. 5 for applicability.

My No. 5 (three pedal velocipede) is 31" between the inside of the legs. Yours appears as if it may be a 4 pedal velocipede.

So you may want to confirm fit.

Both 4-1/2 and 5 were made in "extended bed" versions.

If yours is indeed the "longer" No. 5, then your best chance may be to have a replacement velocipede pedal shaft made.

My No. 4-1/2 has the replacement pedal shaft. This was sold to me as a unit (shaft, pedals, hangers & bearings) for $180 now about 10 years ago. The reproducer of this particular part (initials DC) is now out of the hobby, but the torch has been passed to another, who may contact you.

The replacement pedal shaft actually is slightly "improved" over the originals as the original were 11/16 where the gear fits, the new ones are 3/4". The remainder of the pedal shaft is identical (and fits the triangle pedals.)

Whoever made my 2 pedal shaft (4-1/2) can make it larger, and probably has.

Joe in NH

Back