What's new
What's new

Barnes tool post wrench

kenny14

Plastic
Hi.
Can someone supply me with the correct dimensions for this tool..o/all length and opening.
looks to have been shortened.
Ken

Attachments

• 100_3734.jpg
    100_3734.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 125
Ha, ha. You're going to get a kick out of this reply.

A similar wrench came with my Barnes 4-1/2. This wrench is - wait for it - 3-5/8" total length. AND includes the unusual 5/16 slot such as yours shows.

Yours may be factory. The slot on mine shows the rounded corners of having been made from a wrench about 3-11/16 with a rounded end such as is seen on typical similar Armstrong products.

I'm not sure of what exactly the 5/16 end was used for on the lathe. The Barnes lathes were originally provided with factory made hand-forged carbon steel tools. Insert tooling (your more common Armstrong tool holder) WAS available after about 1910 or so and this 5/16 MIGHT have been used on the tool holder insert dog screw. Given the number of these lathes made after 1910 this modification may have been the factory's solution to a complaint from users. I'm not aware that Barnes lathes were ever provided with insert tool holders, but this may have been done as well.

Hope this helps.

Joe in NH

Justin... that looks to be 3-5/8" like Joe mentioned... here is a pic from the web.. it's what mine would have looked like before it got butchered

Attachments

• right angle adapt.jpg
    right angle adapt.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 30
Here is my thought original 3-5/8" Barnes toolpost wrench.

The lettering in raised letters is "L 15." (Or possibly L 16)

The filed slot is 5/16. The square is 3/8"

Joe in NH

Attachments

• 2020-08-02 Barnes wrench 001.jpg
    2020-08-02 Barnes wrench 001.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 16

Back