Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Battleship New Jersey Machine Shop Tour

2. Likes cretedog, Ja_cain, RCPDesigns liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is this, a commercial? What a crock!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But he says premier in three days?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    What is this, a commercial? What a crock!
    Umm, what? Is this a joke?

The New Jersey is a museum Battleship, and one I look forward to visiting sometime, as well as the USS Massachusetts in Fall River. In fact, I've donated to the NJ to help with its preservation.

What's your issue?

6. Likes sandiapaul, reggie_obe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I toured the New Jersey several years ago and was mightily disappointed that I could not see the machine shop or the engine room, so i am looking forward to at least see it online. (the tour of the 16" mount was impressive,by a gunners mate who had served on its last tour...) Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone watch this? The camera was swinging around all the time and you can't get a good view of the stuff we would be interested in. And then they take a turn to the right just as some neat looking stuff is directly ahead. (looked like smaller stuff but I couldn't really tell)I realize they can't make a general video tour that focuses on just the machine shop...but it IS billed as a Machine Shop tour!
    Reggie, are you involved with the ship project?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you are in the area to see the New Jersey, make sure you go to New York Harbor and see the USS Intrepid. I toured it a couple of times so far.These were from the machine shop on the Intrepid.

20190120_145635-2-.jpg 20190120_145648-2-.jpg 20190120_145740-2-.jpg 20190120_145759-2-.jpg

10. Likes M.B. Naegle, sandiapaul, sfriedberg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandiapaul View Post
    Anyone watch this? The camera was swinging around all the time and you can't get a good view of the stuff we would be interested in. And then they take a turn to the right just as some neat looking stuff is directly ahead. (looked like smaller stuff but I couldn't really tell)I realize they can't make a general video tour that focuses on just the machine shop...but it IS billed as a Machine Shop tour!
    Reggie, are you involved with the ship project?
    I commented on one of the other videos about the NJ that they should remake them when things are back to normal. The guy making the videos now is really passionate about the ship, but (to be fair) he's not a very good videographer.

But he's working essentially for free, no budget, and doing the best he can in difficult times. I'm not trying to criticize the guy, but really, the ship deserves a re-do by someone skilled.

BTW, if anyone here has an interest in military ship history, a vlogger I can heartily recommend is:

Drachinifel - YouTube

A Brit, but covers ships from many countries, and his short (5-15 minute) reviews of individual ships are almost always excellent.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The New Jersey docked at Astoria Oregon in 1990. My wife and I were on the top deck doing a standard tour and I asked a sailor as he walked by if there was any way I could see the machine shop. He said "Go back out to the gate and then back, ask for (some sailor class) Greene and I'll come out and give you a tour of the machine shop".
    This I did, letting my wife stay in the car, and got a treat. Often I think my shop is close quartered, but it's wide open compared to the New Jersey's. I was struck with wood beams strapped or clipped to the ceilings everywhere, and he explained that they were for battle emergency timbering, to stop the flooding from sinking the great ship. Every beam was marked or numbered for a particular area of the ship.
    I took many photos that day but as far as I know they are all gone now. I hope Mr. Greene is doing well and happy.

13. Likes Milland liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In post #8 I mentioned a video channel for those interested in Naval history. He's just released the third (and last) of three videos on the unsung salvage work that took place in Pearl Harbor in the aftermath of the December 7th, 1941 attack.

It's worthwhile viewing, and gives one a real sense of the scale of work needed to bring the harbor back to use, and many of the sunk or damaged ships too. The efforts of the salvage crews and ship builders has not gotten much attention, but these men (and some women) were every bit the heroes that those who carried arms were.

The Salvage of Pearl Harbor Pt 1 - The Smoke Clears - YouTube

The Salvage of Pearl Harbor Pt 2 - Up She Rises! - YouTube

The Salvage of Pearl Harbor Pt 3 - The First and the Last - YouTube

15. Likes bryan_machine, sandiapaul liked this post