What's new
What's new

Becker Mill need any info possible please

espreesodude

Plastic
Hello

I've gotten the bug. Yesterday I bought a Becker #2 mill and honestly don't know anything about what I'm doing. They guy I got it from didn't know much about it not even what taper he though it was a Brown taper. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. I've tried to upload some photos if they didn't come through I'll tray again. Thanks.

IMG_1866.jpgIMG_1865.jpgIMG_1864.jpgIMG_1863.jpg

Congrats on mill ! I think those Beckers used a collet system with a draw bar. Not sure if the spindle had an insert with a common taper on the OD and the collet geometry on the inner, or if the spindle itself had the collet geometry integral. I'm no expert but I think I remembered reading something about this. Did you check out vintage machinery site? There many be info on the Beckers in the publications section. Good luck and welcome

They guy I got it from didn't know much about it not even what taper he though it was a Brown taper.

It is an early Becker.
Hard to say about the spindle taper as the spindle is not original and has been replaced.
Here is what the mill and original spindle would look like.

Rob

Attachments

• Becker mill 1896 1 (2).jpg
    Becker mill 1896 1 (2).jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 90
The spindle on my Becker No. 2 had a straight hole with a set screw. No idea if that was original. It was hollow though, so I bored it to a No. 2 Morse, which was as big as it had metal for. Morse tooling is everywhere, of course, and it's easy to bore, being a single taper (unlike the Rs). I'm sure an R8 taper wouldn't fit. Maybe an R4, but those are harder to find and kinda expensive when you do. If yours is like mine, I really think Morse is the way to go.

Congratulations on the mill. Do you intend to put it back to original with the flat belt drive?

Joel

Back