What's new
What's new

Behold!... The Frankenmill!!!

Frank R

Stainless
Do not look away...

Gaze upon its ugliness...

frankenmill.jpg

The motor, belt, and pulleys are missing. Probably making it even uglier.

A guy I know built this years ago to do light hobby machining on a small budget. He grew up around machines all his life and is quite brilliant. He told me he has one quality that many wanna-be machinists lack: patience. He is in no hurry to get the job done. He can work with lighter machines and still complete his projects.

Do not look away...

Gaze upon its ugliness...

View attachment 271718

The motor, belt, and pulleys are missing. Probably making it even uglier.

A guy I know built this years ago to do light hobby machining on a small budget. He grew up around machines all his life and is quite brilliant. He told me he has one quality that many wanna-be machinists lack: patience. He is in no hurry to get the job done. He can work with lighter machines and still complete his projects.

To quote one of my more resourceful Officer grads, a "Baltimoron" by heritage:

"That's about the UGLIEST thing I've seen since the hawgs ate my little brother."

Hafta add, I'd bet the lard, bacon, ham, and pork chops were still OK though.

Actually, I think it's pretty clever. Hey, little money so you have to make do sometimes. The only thing I'd question is that X/Y import drill press vice.............

The components, as far as I can tell, include:
  • An engine stand
  • An engine block
  • Two angle plates
  • A cross slide from a Logan lathe for vertical adjustment
  • An import drill press vice
  • Some home made brackets for the motor mount
  • A head from a Sherline-like lathe or mill, but with re-built arbor.
  • A drafting lamp

Somewhere I seen a book that had plans on how to convert an old I6 or large 4cyl block into a make shift horizontal mill. Regrettably, I also passed up an old (1948 I think) copy of popular mechanics that was a manual on how to make a drill press from a washing machine motor and a ford T or A rear axle, using parts from a Ford B transmission.

Back