What's new
What's new

bench top lathe help

cnc6977

Plastic
HI, I recently bought an old bench top lathe and was hoping somebody on here new anything about it. The only identifying tag says Bench Lathe zc-3. I've been searching for info but I am coming up empty. Its in real good shape and I think I got a good deal on it. I was told it was at least 24yrs old with little use. Any help would be appreciated.
thanks.

Attachments

• 0427141918a.jpg
    0427141918a.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 513
  • 0427141918.jpg
    0427141918.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,184
That's pretty similar to mine, but looks cheaper made. Not saying its not Chinese, but the age of it is 20yrs or better. I've been working in the shop I bought it from for 15 and it was here before that. Nobody here remembers much about it and the guy that ran it is long since gone. I appreciate the info though. thanks

About 1983, I had the privilege of visiting Earnie Conover Sr. in his home, which was also a fantastic workshop. Among other things, he and his son built very nice wood lathes for sale. But he also was active in watch and clock collecting. He showed me a brand new watch lathe of the Swiss type that he imported from China. I think he said he could only buy about one or two of these lathes per year, so it was not in his company's catalogs. I don't know how many different Chinese makers have been making similar lathes, but they were certainly doing it thirty years ago. Probably each maker's product is different in quality and in which European lathe they copied.

Larry

Thanks Larry, that's pretty interesting. I'm up in the air on what I want to do with it. Its kinda cool to have in the shop but by the same token I'd like to see what I could get out of it on ebay. I got a bunch collets with it. Looks like I could get my money back on the collets alone. But it makes a pretty good conversation piece.

You need to identify what collet the lathe uses, whether you decide to keep it or sell it. The new ones on eBay take collets with 8 mm bodies, but a metric thread. The American lathes and some European lathes use what are called WW or Webster Whitcomb collets with 8 mm bodies and .275" 40 TPI threads. European B8 collets are almost exactly like WW collets. The Chinese seller offers some of their products with either thread.

Larry

Good to know. I'll check what I have. It came with 2 different style collets with different threads for each.

Was Earnie Conover importing Lathes from Red China? Trade with China was quite restricted back then.

Nice looking lathe regardless of its origin. Looks nothing like the one on e-bay.

there are no markings on the motor? seems to be the same color as the lathe, it may or may not be original.

The motor is a Dayton. Its close to the same color, but I'm assuming it had been replaced. Going to get it cleaned up and mount it on a piece of oak.

I measured the collets this morning and found that the one size is 10mm body with 8mmx.75 thread which is what the lathe spindle is set up for. I also have another set of Starret collets 8mm body with .275 x 40thread. So I'm assuming I have a Chinese lathe. Not what I was hoping for, but still a nice built little machine. Anybody have any ideas what this thing is worth? I'm hoping I didn't pay too much for it.

thanks

I don't have time to look it up right now, but the American 10 mm collets have M10 x 1.0 buttress threads. I think there is a Swiss collet with M10 x .75 buttress threads they call W10 type. Then there is the Pultra with M10 x 1.0 V-threads. I have never seen one of those skinny bed Swiss-style lathes with a 10 mm spindle.

I have dozens of watch lathes and can always use more collets that fit the American lathes.

Larry

I know this an old thread, but I wondered if there were any reviews of this lathes performance or any for sale.

Back