What's new
What's new

Bet you NEVER saw a Starrett micrometer like this!

Liz G

Plastic
Hey all,
I stumbled into a Starrett micrometer that just made my jaw drop. I thought I'd seen just about every kind of Starrett mic ever made, until about an hour ago! It measures 4" to 8" and has all the anvils.[FONT=Helvetica neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]I am so curious, anyone else ever seen one like this?

s-l1600.jpgs-l64(1).jpgs-l64(4).jpgs-l64(3).jpgs-l64(5).jpg

s-l1600.jpgs-l64(5).jpgs-l64(4).jpgs-l64(3).jpg

Thanks,
Liz G

I've never seen one of these, but they can be found listed on page 132 of Starrett Catalog #26 (1938) as a "No. 127 United States Government Micrometer Caliper Gage". The description states "These gages were designed and made to meet the requirements of the Government in making big guns and other work in the Ordnance Department of Government shops, where they are now used. The frames are cut from steel plates, nicely finished. The sides are covered with hard rubber, put on with brass screws, preventing inaccuracy through expansion caused by change in temperature when held in the hands. The micrometer screw adjust 1 inch. reading 1/1000 of an inch, and is provided with a lock nut. The different length tail spindles, forming anvils, are interchangeable and have positive stops to set against their socketed seats. The adjusting collars on these anvils have notches to facilitate the removal of dirt, which would prevent them from setting accurately against the seat. The contact ends of the spindles are slightly convex. Furnished with a ratchet stop."
These were available in English (inch) and Metric models.

A good find, in my opinion! :)

Haven't seen them with the wood grips but newer models are common. I had a set of 8 to 12 .... interchangeable anvils are cheaper than several individual mikes for sizes you don't use too much.

Where's the setting gages ? you need those with this style.

" Bet you NEVER saw a Starrett micrometer like this! "

Liz G, with the greatest respect I submit that's a pretty bold statement to make on this forum. ;)

Haven't seen them with the wood grips but newer models are common. I had a set of 8 to 12 .... interchangeable anvils are cheaper than several individual mikes for sizes you don't use too much.

Where's the setting gages ? you need those with this style.

When I worked on marking out and inspection part of the job concerned calibrating all the shop mikes etc. We had dozens of mikes in that style, some up 24" capacity. Every mike had to be calibrated on every setting using the setting gauges. This had to be done every 6 months. A really boring, tedious job. I hated it. You very rarely found one out of calibration but every setting had to be checked.

Regards Tyrone.

I have the little brother to that. It is marked on the barrel as a 127, has "242" engraved on the front, and "CHAMPLAIN" on the back handle. It measures from 0 to 4". My brother found it at an estate sale and picked it up for me as a Christmas gift. It's a beautiful tool, and still works well. Starrett even color case hardened the adjusting wrenches.

The box is in good condition.
Starrett 127 Case.jpg
It is interesting that there was no provision for standards in the box
Starrett 127 Overview.jpg
There is a 242 marked on the anvil end. Perhaps for calibration tracking?
Starrett 127 Marking and Wrenches.jpg
The "CHAMPLAIN" engraving on the back appears to be beautifully hand done. If you look carefully you can see the arcs that the engraver put down to guide the height of the letters.
Starrett 127 Champlain Engraving.jpg

With a title like that I was really hoping to see something amazing, new and exciting. It’s just a nice #127, made for about 75 years (just a guess without looking it up) in a bunch of different sizes. They have been showing up on eBay since the eBay started years ago. So your title is a bit of a strong and wrong statement. We have seen these.

Now about the mic, yes they are very cool. Slocomb even made a version with rosewood handle/insulators. Thanks for posting and keep collecting.

Welcome to the forum Liz. Don't get put off ,you need a thick skin around some of these guys, but the knowledge base is second to none... Jim

It's a cool mic Liz, but like Rivett and others I've not just seen but owned one. Don't recall the exact owner labels and details, but mine had apparently been used in the making of gun barrels.

The wood handles do a nice job of insulating the frame - are comfortable to the touch - and seem to last longer than the more recent plastic replacements. It's rare enough that I'd guess that 95% of the public might not know what it is and 99.999% might not have ever held one.

Could be you could claim it's a bit of phrenology gear, for estimated IQ from skull size, and some would believe you??

Hi Eric M.

Thank you so much for sharing the text from the Starrett Catalog. I love the way they used to turn a phrase back then. I'm for sure going to find that page and check it out.

The text you shared reminds me of the good parts of the world prior to the interwebs. I used to poor over JC Whitney catalogs, Sears, local distributor's flyers and just about anything else I could find either car or tool related. I have small number of the Lufkin Tool catalogs, among other brands. Lufkin seemed to employ a good writing staff in their marketing dept., some paragraphs are almost poetry. I've read, then read, once more, then repeated the process on a few occasions the "Chrome Clad Micrometers" literature. They use the good old fashioned features and benefits methodology. I also remember back when people thought there was to darn much detail, "sales speak" they said. Well too often I find myself sending emails to suppliers just to get some of the basic information they omit in their too brief web descriptions, like diameter, or weight and so on.

Anyways, yes I liked the good old days, and thank you again for posting!

I've never seen one of these, but they can be found listed on page 132 of Starrett Catalog #26 (1938) as a "No. 127 United States Government Micrometer Caliper Gage". The description states "These gages were designed and made to meet the requirements of the Government in making big guns and other work in the Ordnance Department of Government shops, where they are now used. The frames are cut from steel plates, nicely finished. The sides are covered with hard rubber, put on with brass screws, preventing inaccuracy through expansion caused by change in temperature when held in the hands. The micrometer screw adjust 1 inch. reading 1/1000 of an inch, and is provided with a lock nut. The different length tail spindles, forming anvils, are interchangeable and have positive stops to set against their socketed seats. The adjusting collars on these anvils have notches to facilitate the removal of dirt, which would prevent them from setting accurately against the seat. The contact ends of the spindles are slightly convex. Furnished with a ratchet stop."
These were available in English (inch) and Metric models.

A good find, in my opinion! :)

Hey all,
I stumbled into a Starrett micrometer that just made my jaw drop. I thought I'd seen just about every kind of Starrett mic ever made, until about an hour ago! It measures 4" to 8" and has all the anvils.[FONT=Helvetica neue, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]I am so curious, anyone else ever seen one like this?

View attachment 280926View attachment 280927View attachment 280928View attachment 280931View attachment 280925

View attachment 280926View attachment 280925View attachment 280928View attachment 280931

Thanks,
Liz G

Yes I have seen one and used it. Clumsy as hell to use. I'll use normal mics thanks.

Yes I have seen one and used it. Clumsy as hell to use. I'll use normal mics thanks.

I have, somewhere, a similar Tumico mic. I think it has the standards (but no frame insulators). I can agree with the description quoted.

A worse PIA I never saw. Always set to something you don't want, and you have to swap to the new anvil and zero it to the standard. Only worth it for a recurring task such as QC, and too much of a PIA unless you will be measuring maybe 50 or more pieces.

Different strokes for different folks.

MSC's price on a set of 12-24" Starret mics is over $12,000 with a box near the size of a lawn mower. Even the smaller 6-12" set is over $3,000.

An interchangeable anvil set, particularly used, is a whole lot cheaper and easier to store for the comparatively few times something larger than usual comes along. Cheap enough, made sense (at least to me) to buy an extra frame to avoid re-calibration on a job that might want to measure a couple large diameters.

QC lab might take some time to do that calibration; but it's around a 5 minute job (remove anvil, insert new anvil, adjust to get it to zero on a standard) if the operator does it. Personally, I don't find them harder to use than a fixed frame mic of the same size.

" Bet you NEVER saw a Starrett micrometer like this! "

Liz G, with the greatest respect I submit that's a pretty bold statement to make on this forum. ;)

Well it ain't ALL wrong.

Even packrat me has Mauser (branded..) ones for that interchangeable large-reach use. At least until I find a decent deal on Scherr-Tumico's... then BOTH, thanks.

They are right handy for the zero-extra ration of box-space vs a one-size large frame.

Then again, I'm an "ABTS" metrology guy.

"Anything BETTER THAN Starrett".

So if I hadn't seen them, it's because I don't much care WHAT Starrett put their name onto.

:)

With all due respect, if something has a Starrett catalog number on it, it's a production item and not something "never seen". On the other hand, Starrett did, and continues to, make special measuring instruments to customer's designs. In one old catalog, Starrett had a picture of a "truss frame" micrometer made special for a customer who needed to mike very large diameter parts. Remembering that, when we had a need to take mike readings on some of the hydro turbine parts at the powerplant I worked at, I contacted Starrett. We needed a mike which could reach aways out onto some assembled turbine parts to get the overall thickness. The result was a mike with a frame having a very deep throat as well as quite a distance between spindle and anvil. I worked with an engineer at Starrett, and we came up with a fabricated aluminum frame, sufficiently rigid and stress relieved after welding. I believe the assembled frame was then re-tempered before final machining. The mike arrived in a large plywood case, and we used it when we did major overhaul work on some of the thrust bearing parts. It's been easily 20 years since I thought of that mike.

In a Starrett catalog of the 20's or 30's which I saw as a boy in a neighbor's basement, there was a photo of a machinist miking a "wheel center" for a steam locomotive. The wheel center (the spoked wheel casting for a drive upon which a steel tire is shrink-fitted) was about as tall as the guy miking its diameter.
I believe this likely to advertise the fact Starrett could build micrometers for nearly any purpose.

Another micrometer which Starrett offered was the "boiler inspector's micrometer". In the days before ultrasonic thickness gauging, if the thickness of the wall of an existing boiler or pressure vessel had to be determined, Starrett offered a special mike for the purpose. A small hole was drilled thru the shell of the boiler or pressure vessel at the area in question (I know, someone will ping on me about making sure the boiler or pressure vessel was out of service, pressure bled off and drained down..). The mike consisted of a hooked rod like a candy-cane. The tip of the "handle" of the candy cane formed the anvil of the mike. Once the hooked rod was in place thru the hole, the rest of the mike frame then fastened to it. After taking the thickness measurement, the hole was then tapped and plugged- assuming the mike reading showed sufficient thickness for the service the boiler or pressure vessel would see.

I've seen a lot of Starrett tools over a career spanning more than 50 years, and I've done engineering on about 24 steam locomotive boiler for determined fitness for service as well as repairs and alterations. I never bothered to count how many other pressure vessels, penstocks (large steel pipes feeding water to hydro turbines), tanks and similar work I've handled. Never saw one of those boiler inspector's mictometers.

Another mike Starrett advertised as making available has its graduations in Braille. I believe Starrett produced these mikes and made them available at no cost to industries and organizations training or employing the blind.

I own a mike made by Brown & Sharpe that is one I have never seen before or since. An old neighbor, a master toolmaker of the old school, since deceased, bought it new. When he was near the end of his life, well into his 90's he had me come over to buy some of his tools. One of the items he threw into the lot was a very heavy framed mike with an oversized head, made by Brown and Sharpe. I'd have to dig it out as I've never used it myself. The oldtimer claimed he bought it for one job, and that was so long ago in his own past he forgot what he bought it for. I believe the heavy framed mike was known as "grinder micrometer".

In response to Thermite's customary somewhat caustic wit, I know there was always a controversy as to which firm made the better measuring instruments. Starrett, likely by sheer volume of tools produced and the extensive line they offered, as well as dealer network, seemed to be "the name". I grew up knowing Starrett from the time I was a kid. In high school, I came to know Brown and Sharpe. Amongst a lot of machinists and toolmakers in the 50's-90's, Brown and Sharpe was said to produce a better tool than Starrett. I've got mostly Starrett in my own chests, but plenty of Brown and Sharpe and some Mitutoyo tools. A few stray Lufkin tools also are in my chests. Unfortunately, Brown and Sharpe is no longer a major player in the measuring instrument field. In the days when they were building the tools in their Rhode Island works, they were building some very fine tools. Nowadays, when I buy dial indicators for my own shop, I go with Mitutoyo. I never had occasion to get into the kind of metrology that Thermite speaks of. For day-to-day machine shop work or erecting turbines and generators, Starrett has always made fine tools and it is what we mainly buy at the powerplant. Imagine buying a dozen 1" travel AGD style dial indicators graduated in 0.001" in one order. This is the kind of thing we did at the powerplant if we had a big repair or major overhaul coming up. We wrote a purchase requisition and it was ALWAYS for Starrett tools. After an outage or major overhaul, we'd send a bunch of dial indicators back to Starrett for repair and/or recalibration. A few indicators would get dropped or smacked as a matter of course during these kinds of jobs, and we'd send them back to Starrett. Starrett is a household name in the powerplant and in many shops to this day.

Back