Big, Big Wisconsin T-Head engine - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lathehand View Post
    Terry: Thanks for the additonal photos and commentary. Exactly what I wanted to see. Both your work, pics and explanation are well done and I for one enjoy all of your posts. Carl
    Amen to the above. Thanks for your efforts.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After what seems like ages I can finally check-off (almost) a complete assembly. If you recall way back in post #134 I had payed a visit to the Odd Duck Foundry and Peter had cast the pieces for the upper water manifold (Parts No. A18A, A19A, A20A & A32A) Well here they are after machining and polishing - Over 40 inches of gleaming brass and bronze. I still have a few details to complete - fabricating a couple of high crown bolts and removing the plating from the nuts. The pieces will be joined together with 1-1/2" radiator hose. Currently waiting to order the hose (period correct wrapped red hose) and the proper wire clamps. Should look real nice!

Special thanks to Peter Grant of Odd Duck Foundry for the "Foundry 101" lessons and letting me get in the way.

I have quite a sense of pride in ths assembly having developed it from measurement to drawings to pattens to finished casting.

Last edited by Terry Harper; 10-11-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh...that odd set of six cylinder heads in the foreground....thats another project...an air cooled series 135 engine from a 1929 Franklin. Its in rough shape - two stuck pistons, two broken pistons, lots of stuck valves....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This weeks adventure was fabrication of a tool for bending the 12 Valve Spring Cover Clamps (Part No. 034X)
    I know, I know I should have used steel but I didn't have any decent pieces available but I did have this box of misc. brass that a friend gave me and it was close at hand..However I did recycle an old valve stem from the beast for the handle and pins.

To bend the eylets I will use a simple two pin setup. Now Iam just waiting for the order of spring steel to come in!

Anyway here is the result:

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, it looks good, it has been awhile since i bent any spring steel so i may be off here, is there some compensation built into your fixture so the result is the size you want? i hope you get what i am asking.

also, i don't remember what you where going to do with it when you get it running. You could poke a hole in the ground for some natural gas and run a generator with it, make it earn a little back.

jason

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry:

Thanks for keeping us updated. This thread has been interesting, and more than a little inspiring.

At least with the Franklin engine you won't have to worry about fab'ing any plumbing for coolant!

Cheers,
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today I put the spring clip bender tool to good use. After working to get a technique somewhat perfected I was able to turn a few out.
    Only nine more to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry,
    Your project is coming right along. What a huge undertaking. It looks good. I don"t have any experience working with spring steel. Can you tell me more about it? You buy it in lengths & form it and it holds the shape? Do you have to do anything else to get it to retain the intended shape?
    toolles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Toolles,

Until the other day I had never worked with it either!

Anyway, I bought mine from McMaster-Carr - they offer it in strip form in varying widths and thickness. They offer 1074 and 1075 in rolls of varying lengths. I opted for the tempered scaleless blue steel. In hindsight I should of bought the un-tempered general purpose steel.

To overcome springback I made my bender outfit smaller than the finished piece - however it wasn't nearly enough. To form these I had to anneal (heat & quenched) the steel then I could form it very easily. Now you know why I shouldn't have gotten the tempered stuff) Once formed I wired the ends together to hold the shape and heat treated (i.e. heated and let cool slowly) Not sure if thats the proper way but they held thier shape-though they did oval a bit - and have tons of spring and fit very well.

There is great website on forming springs. Mostly coil springs - lot of good info. How to Make Springs

Anyway, I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Terry for the link. I've got a little project where I need to make a coil spring and I was wondering how to go about it. I appreciate being able to read about someone else doing it before I take it on. Maybe I can flatten out the learning curve a bit.
    Les

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ran across this on another site, if you watch at 4:31 or so, there is a shot of a Lombard running; From stump to ship: A 1930 logging film - YouTube!

Jason

12. Likes baldwin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Today we pressed in the new valve guides and started removing the broken studs for the lower water manifold.

Moving slow but forward!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love your press Terry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i wish that press was mine! I had to borrow it for the day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Terry, and a pleasant and happy holiday season to you and yours!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Merry Christmas Terry, but I bet I'm not the only one who was dismayed that your post wasn't about the engine restoration!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, Nice card and photo.....Do you have anymore Lombard or steam powered tractor photos to share?? Happy Holidays

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by t-head View Post
    Terry.....Do you have anymore Lombard or steam powered tractor photos to share??
    Is the Pope Catholic?

Apologies for yet another post not featuring a Big Old Wisconsin T-Head Engine.

To make amends and provide a holiday "fill-in", here is a big (225hp), old (c.1918) engine being brought back to life not far from here.

Four valve engine, exhaust stacks go straight up! Inlet valve cages from first cylinder shown removed. Bore & Stroke: 6 3/4" & 7 1/2".

It is not a Wisconsin and not American, no more details in this thread though.

exhaust-side-2-red.jpgno-6-cylinder-valve-cages-removed.-2-red.jpginlet-valve-cages-no-6-cylinder-2-red.jpginlet-valve-cages-no-6-cylinder-1-red.jpg

21. Likes SouthBendModel34 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Folks! I hope you all had a great Christmas. Things have been slow in the shop which is typical for me this time of year but I have
    made a bit more progress.

t-head
    Terry, Nice card and photo.....Do you have anymore Lombard or steam powered tractor photos to share?? Happy Holidays
    David, I have a collection with several hundred photos involving Steam and gasoline Lombards as well as some of his early 1899 steam car
    and a bit of old film too which I am more than willing to share with the readers of "THE OLD MOTOR" PM me and I will get you my E-mail address.

To make amends and provide a holiday "fill-in", here is a big (225hp), old (c.1918) engine being brought back to life not far from here.

Four valve engine, exhaust stacks go straight up! Inlet valve cages from first cylinder shown removed. Bore & Stroke: 6 3/4" & 7 1/2".

It is not a Wisconsin and not American, no more details in this thread though.
    Peter, That looks like an amazing project! Iam not even going to venture a guess as to what it is! Please keep us posted.

Ok, on to the latest progress.... I finished the pattern for part No. A29A (Lower Water Manifold - Front Section) I had feared doing this piece from the start of the project but in the end it was fairly straight forward.
    Like the pattern for Part No. A28A (the center water manifold piece) I had to fabricate a follower and a four part pattern. I made the straight section which connects to the extension off of the water pump
    extra, extra long so I could hold it in the chuck while I turn the outside to diameter and cut the threads for the big coupling nut. Once the turning operations are complete I can part
    it to the correct length and counter-bore. Currently I am working on the core boxs. Once these are complete it will be time to tackle the last water fitting! Yahoo!

And.... what the original fitting looked like

23. Likes Peter S liked this post