What's new
What's new

Bliss Shaper 1881 ?

It is very close to a Gould, but it lacks one feature that all early Gould shapers had(that I have seen) and that is how the tool head is clamped to the ram.

This is a really nice shaper. I wish it was mine. I am glad to see it saved.

Rob

Looks like one of the very early Gould machines (Ezra or Gould Bros), like someone I know in Kentucky has. Should have the name cast into it, though, maybe on the legs.

Irby

Many of the construction details are similar to those on the Hewes & Phillips shaper I had. Both Gould and H&P were in Newark, NJ, so this one was probably made in that area as well.
Andy

Bliss did not work for Gould. Bliss started in the 1860's as Bliss & Williams.

This shaper is not a Bliss and I doubt that it is a Gould.

Rob

PS. Forgot about Mays, his first partner.

This shaper is not a Bliss ...

I see a great deal of similarity between our machine and the illustration in Cope. Shape of the table, shape of the saddle way, placement of the openings in the frame, etc. Although to my inexperienced eye, the machine looks older than 1880s. Robert, I don't doubt your assessment, but can you elaborate on your statement? Do you have any illustrations of Bliss shapers that you can post here? We like to have informational write-ups on each of the machines we display; any and all information is helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff_G,

I see very little similarity.

The Bliss table is the early form of box table. T-slots on the top and on the side and the other side open. Your shaper does not have this or any T-slots on the table.

The saddle T-slots and saddle ways are the same, but other makers used this style also, such as Gould.

The placement and style of the openings in the frame are not the same. The Bliss has(on the pulley side) one square and one rectangle opening at the top and one large square opening at the bottom, by the pulley. Your shaper has five openings(on the pulley side) of different sizes and placements.

The legs are also a different style. Also, your legs are bolted onto the main body. The Bliss legs are cast in one piece with the sides of the main frame.

The Bliss ram ways are square. Yours are dovetail.

The ways for the ram on the Bliss is a separate casting that is bolted onto the two separate sides of the main frame. Yours does not have that.

These are just a few of the differences.

The illustration of the Bliss shaper in Cope's book came from an article in the American Machinist Magazine telling of Bliss's new shaper. As far as I know this was Bliss's first and only shaper made.

Rob

I'm looking at a picture I have of the early Goulds. This one is close but not a match. Clapper isn't clamped to ram like Gould. Legs are curved in an arch all the way to the ground, Gould is arched but flared out some on bottom. Gould has two vertical rectangular holes in side. Cross bar on Gould has one lip on front, this has a slot in the middle like the Hewes & Phillips. Table and vise are different form the Gould. Plus, the Goulds had their name cast into the arch of the legs. I'd post the Gould pic, but the machine belongs to another member and I'd like his permission first.

Irby

hi irby .....post away , no problem .....
wonder if the drive differs from my E Gould .....hardened steel roller actuating the rocker arm ,yoked to ram ......roller is dovetailed onto bull gear & stroke adjusted by loosening the attaching bolt & just moving it as needed....

....the position adjustment stud on top the ram has milled flats opposite each other for the length of stud ...puzzled me till i tried to oil the ram yoke by squirting oil upwards......the flats just carry the oil right down to the yoke....
fwiw....shaper is tooled & in use for projects.....feed screws are reverse of current practice, & that is somewhat of a bother....6 in vise is shopmade from cold rolled....rotates on a center hole & i fabbed 3 clamps to tie it down ......flat belt driven from a DC 3/4 hp & controller ...works well on low sfm's a s well as higher , unlike a lathe w/ out geared lo speeds , since with a shaper at lower sfm , less work is done therefore less HP necessary

best wishes
docn8as

Hi Doc,

I thought your ears would start burning when I mentioned Keeentucky.:D

But I don't have any good pics of yours. The one I have is from another member. I need to e-mail him and see if it's OK to post the pic.

You can send me all the pics of yours you want!

Take care,
Irby

I was looking at old Iron Age magazines from 1873 through 1878.
I found the maker of this shaper in an 1877 ad.
It is an A.J. Davis & Co. shaper.
They were located just a block or two down the road from Gould & Eberhardt.

Rob

Attachments

• A. J. Davis & Co. 1877.jpg
    A. J. Davis & Co. 1877.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 115
  • A. J. Davis & Co. 5.jpg
    A. J. Davis & Co. 5.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 137
  • A. J. Davis & Co. 2.jpg
    A. J. Davis & Co. 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 120
Doing some research on Davis.
This is from 1870. Albert J. Davis.
A partner in Pierson, Kinsey & Co. Listed as makers of machinist tools.

Rob

Attachments

• A.J. Davis 1870 1.jpg
    A.J. Davis 1870 1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 26
  • A.J. Davis 1870 2.jpg
    A.J. Davis 1870 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 25
  • A.J. Davis 1870 3I.jpg
    A.J. Davis 1870 3I.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 24
In 1868, Pierson, Kinsey & Co. and Gould were in the same building.

Rob

Attachments

• A.J. Davis 1868 3a.jpg
    A.J. Davis 1868 3a.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 22
  • A.J. Davis 1868 4.jpg
    A.J. Davis 1868 4.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 28
I went through the Newark City directories from 1846 to 1890 looking for Albert J. Davis.
A few of the directories were missing.

First listing is 1850, Albert J. Davis, Machinist.

In 1858 he is listed as a grocer.

In 1859 he is listed as a gas fitter with a brother, Andrew.
Davis & Brother.

In 1860, Albert J. Davis, machinist.

In 1866, partners with Pierson, Kinsey & Co.

In 1871 Pierson, Kinsey & Co. gone.
Now just Albert J. Davis, machinist at 93 NJRR Ave.

In 1872 A.J. Davis & Co., with George Ougheltree at 93 NJRR Ave.

In 1873 A.J. Davis & Brother with Charles D.B. Davis at 93 NJRR Ave.

Later in 1875 back to Albert J. Davis, machinist at 93 NJRR Ave.

Later in 1877, A.J. Davis & Co., with J. Frank Davis at 69 NJRR Ave.

In 1883 back to A.J. Davis, machinist at 69 NJRR Ave.

In 1886, last listing for A.J. Davis, machinist.

Rob

Attachments

• A.J. Davis 1859 2.jpg
    A.J. Davis 1859 2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 15
  • A.J. Davis 1866 4.jpg
    A.J. Davis 1866 4.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 13
  • A.J. Davis 1869 3.jpg
    A.J. Davis 1869 3.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 13
Robert, thanks for filling in the blanks. Those pictures certainly look like our machine. BTW, if you did not know, Jeff passed of cancer. I have taken over his duties managing the shop at Tuckahoe. I had not seen the picture of the shaper with the electric motor on it. I was thinking of hooking it up to a hit and miss and using it outside during our shows. Thanks for the great info.

Dan

Back