What's new
What's new

Book recommendations about industries role during WW1

Glenn Ohman

Aluminum
I am in the beginning stages of writing my freshman seminar paper. I can write about whatever as long as it involves the Great War. I am thinking about writing it on industries role in the War. Can you recommend any good books on the subject?

Glenn

Glenn,

I like this thread already! WW1 caught all combatants unprepared for the incredible demand, and long term demand at that, for materiel.

As I understand it, the governments/armies involved thought it would be a short, sharp war with no time to manufacture any materiel beyond what was on hand at the outset. If my understanding is correct, how wrong they were!

One aspect that you should definitely cover is "The Shells Shortage", which had an obvious effect on the course of history.

John Ruth

Check out Kimes' Packard A History of the Motor Car and the Company

Has chapters on both Packard trucks and getting the Liberty aircraft engine designed and built

Another thing to check out would be American Machinist magazine from those years. This magazine would be much more timely than a book, that given the length of the war probably diden't come out until after the war. Another thing to check out is gage blocks they were the WWI area stealth technology.

Another thing to check out would be American Machinist magazine from those years. This magazine would be much more timely than a book, that given the length of the war probably diden't come out until after the war. Another thing to check out is gage blocks they were the WWI era stealth technology.

I’m not sure how much you have searched this forum but there are several threads on WW 1 manufacturing with links to the likes of Machinery and American Machinist , and Marine engineering magazines and other books that are viewable on archive.org .

Here is one thread that you may not have seen
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/ww-i-ordnance-fabrication-269798/

Here is a book from archive.org where you may get a few more ideas .
I only took a quick look at it
Inventions of the great war
https://archive.org/details/cu31924031222643

Found in this search
https://archive.org/search.php?query=The Great War

Regards,
Jim

Hatcher's Notebook has some interesting information on arms development and a bit on manufacturing techniques especially concerning faulty heat treating practices involving the Springfield rifles. It's a great read on small arms in general.

Sorry I cannot recall the title, but I read a history of Remington Arms Co.about 50 or 60 years ago. It had a very good and detailed section on how Remington quickly tooled up to produce military rifles, first for the British, then for the USA. This is a brief account of the rifles. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Enfield

Larry

That is almost certainly "Remington Arms, An American Story" by Alden Hatch. Hatch was a socialite writer of highly fictionalized biographies and a friend of Marcellus Hartley Dodge (the owner of the Remington Arms Company). The book is utterly worthless as a reference. Hatch simply made much of it up. This isn't to say that some real facts aren't mixed in, but as a reference it is worse than useless. I only say this because I would caution the OP about making any use of it.

You might look for "My Own Story" by Bernard Baruch. Baruch was the chairman of the War Industries Board, in effect, the man who organized America's wartime industrial production. There is also a good deal of material, from the British point of view (which included a great deal of American production) in "The World Crisis" by Winston Churchill who was First Lord of the Admiralty when the war broke out and, later, Minister of Munitions.

Your real problem is that there is too much material. Just about every company that participated in the war effort published something after the war that would lead you to think they'd won it all by themselves. I suggest you pick one area and concentrate on that... something like the auto industry or the arms industry. Automobiles are particularly interesting because the entire structure of motor transportation had to be created from scratch. When the war began the army had only a handful of 4-wheel drive trucks, a few of Dodge touring cars and Harley-Davidson motorcycles, nearly all on the border with Mexico. They even had to create a completely new unit, the "Motor Transport Corps", actively recruiting men who knew how to drive. The thousands of men who were trained as motor mechanics during the war gave a huge boost to the automobile industry after the war, providing a pool of skilled mechanics that hadn't existed in 1914.

"The Crime of 1916"

One little-known aspect of WW1 US arms production is the fumbling, bumbling failure of the design process of the M1916 75mm field artillery piece. They managed to finish exactly ONE by the time the war was over.

This is a classic tale of what happens when you try to achieve perfection.

Artillery Evolutions: The Crime of 1916 | Bring the heat, Bring the Stupid

Too many design changes made too late in the design process.

John Ruth

Glenn has picked a good topic. As 99Panhard says, it’s a very broad field, with many aspects to choose from. I can’t suggest a single relevant source on the subject, but I am aware of numerous sources of information. However, my sources concentrate mainly on British production in WW1, so will find little favour here.

One excellent source which gives contemporary views of WW1 production is the volumes of the magazine The Engineer (generously made available online by the owner of Grace’s Guide).

The Engineer (Bound Volumes)

If you go to the index of any of the wartime volumes of The Engineer, you will find a wide range of topics relating to war production and products of both allies and enemies. For example, references to the development of concrete boats, arc welding, substitutions for materials in short supply, etc.

Engineering was a similar magazine, but WW1-era volumes aren’t yet available on Grace’s Guide. I’ve just been flicking through a hard copy 1918 volume, and finding all sorts of snippets, e.g. a report of a gathering of most US makers of drop-forged wrenches, who agreed to make their wrenches to ‘war finish’, without polishing, and without packaging or advertising boards. Getting manufacturers to cut back on standards of finish wasn't easy.

In looking through those volumes, a surprising finding is how many aspects of business life carried on relatively normally. It was total war, but productive effort was by no means totally devoted to the war. When Engineering did discuss war-specific matters, they sometimes supplied a surprising amount of detail. In 1918 they had an article on the Cunard shell factory, complete with drawings of machine tools adapted for shell production. Incidentally, all the photos of machines in action in the article have women operators, and the machine shops were designed for a workforce of 80 – 90% females.

One major outcome of WW1 was the liberation of women. They gained unprecedented income and independence as a result of doing men’s work. A facet of this change was major industrial unrest due to workmen having their role diluted by women and unskilled workers.

In the book 'The Classic Slum' by Robert Roberts, referring to his father’s boasts that he had to manipulate a micrometer and work to thousandths of an inch, he writes: 'We were much impressed until one evening in 1917 a teenage sister running a capstan in the ironworks remarked indifferently that she, too, used a ‘mike’ to even finer limits. There was, she said, 'nothing too it'. The old man fell silent. Thus did status crumble! Before the end of the war more than 642,000 women had gone into government factories and engineering works of some sort, with millions more, men and women, doing manual work of almost every kind and developing new skills…..'

One lesson that the British learned for WW2 was to avoid the problems of letting or making essential workers go forth as cannon fodder.

Death and destruction aside, it seems that it wasn’t until 1918 that the British government officially outlawed the payment of royalties to enemy holders of patents!

John Ruth mentioned an example of official incompetence. I've been reading an account of the development of the WW1 Rolls-Royce Eagle and Falcon, and the half-hearted support given to them by the authorities. In fact R-R hadn’t previously built aircraft engines, and had initially been pressed to build Renault aero engines, but they would have nothing to do with them. I then went to another of the excellent R-R Heritage Trust books to see if it had anything relevant to this thread. The book was An Account of Partnership – Industry, Government and the Aero Engine – The Memoirs of George Purvis Bulman. Bulman spoke highly (and briefly) of the R-R engines, and of the Liberty engine, but focuses attention on a dreadful engine - the ABC Dragonfly - which government officials, on the basis of paper claims, decided should be put into mass production. It was hopeless, and a dangerous waste of time and effort, but Bulman does say that the affair taught lessons helpful to him in WW2 (when he had the onerous technical responsibility for British aero engine production on behalf of the government). He undoubtedly played a major role in avoiding many of the problems of misdirected effort in WW2. This is of no help to the O.P. but I like to take the opportunity to plug good books.

Another example of misguided thinking concerns the development of engines for the first tanks in WW1. Harry Ricardo and H Glyde wrote that tanks were initially given such low priority that the engine designers were allowed to use aluminium only for pistons and induction pipes, while the use of high tensile steel was banned entirely! (The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine by Ricardo and Glyde, 1941).

Thank you for this very interesting post, Asquith, and it's good to see you here again.
And thanks awfully for the link to The Engineer. Wonder how many reams of paper plus ink cartridges it's going to take to print it all out.

David

Wow! Thanks for all of the recommendations everyone! Still not sure what my thesis should be exactly but I am getting closer.

This has turned into a really interesting thread, I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

Glenn

Sixty Years with Men and Machines by Fred Colvin (some personal observations on the woeful state of arms production)
The Four Wheel Drive Story by the FWD Company (yes, they won the war by themselves)
Machinery magazine from the war years; the machine tool ads tell a story by themsevles if you know what you're looking at

Not specifically about war production, just about a guy who was there (UK and anti sub) in a leadership role

Admiral Sims and the Modern American Navy by Morison

Attachments

• William Sowden Sims VADM USN.jpg
    William Sowden Sims VADM USN.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 100
Further to Asquith’s mention about the first tanks I found this book on Archive.org that I took a quick look at and may be of interest to someone .
Tanks, 1914-1918; the log-book of a pioneer
by Stern, Albert Gerald, Sir, 1878-
https://archive.org/details/tankslogbookofpi00ster

There is a chapter , Production On A Large Scale ,
starting here https://archive.org/stream/tankslogbookofpi00ster#page/111/mode/1up

There was some more discussion about early tanks in this Thread some time ago.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/ot-crawler-tractors-196276/
On looking it up I see I had posted this link in Post # 343
Tanks in the great war, 1914-1918
https://archive.org/details/cu31924027835168

Regards,
Jim

Tanks

Jim,

Thanks for the link to the tank book. Some interesting information and fascinating photos – I’ve taken the liberty of copying one.

There are a few mentions of the large Liberty-engined tanks in there.

I was amused to read that at a meeting of British and French tank engineers, neither group had much grasp of the other’s language, and they conducted their conversations in German!

Attachments

• tankslogbookofpi00ster_0137a.jpg
    tankslogbookofpi00ster_0137a.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 124

Back