What's new
What's new

Boring a Steam Engine Cylinder in 1800

enginebill

Stainless
I have a book called Early Stationary Steam Engines in America written by Purcell in 1969. In it is an account of boring a cylinder for a water works engine. The account was by Thomas P Cope who was visiting the Soho Works of Nicholas Roosevelt in 1800 to witness the boring of the cylinder for the new Philadelphia water works in Centre Square. As cast the cylinder was 6 1/2' long and 38 1/4" inside diameter. The bore had to be bored out to 39". A boring bar was directly connected to the hub of a water wheel and the boring bar had three cutters. The boring continued round the clock and required changing the cutters every 10 minutes and the change took 10 minutes itself. One man stayed in the cylinder to replace the cutters which they called steelings and another man moved the carriage on which the cylinder rested. After 87 days the cylinder was a 1/2" larger than when they started. By the time that the cylinder was finished it was found that the cylinder was 3/8" larger in the center than it was on the ends.

Attachments

• Centre Square engine.jpg
    Centre Square engine.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 373
Some decades ago, Model Engineer magazine quoted a contemporary account of truing up the bore of a large 18th Century steam cylinder. As I recall, the process was done with teams of men dragging a semicircular lap, maybe lead, back and forth in the cylinder with sand and water for abrasive. The cylinder would have been rotated as part of the process and frequent diameter checks would be made to identify the areas needing more work. I think the summary report said the bore was declared true within the thickness of a shilling coin.

Larry

i have seen picture of boring bar setup on lathe centers and the part moving on a carriage of railroad type rails. obviously if rails not straight the bore not straight sided. if rail not parallel the bore can be tapered. and of course as boring bar warms up and part warms up the bore diameter being cut changes
i have also seen straight steel rails bolted to concrete become snaked or curved on temperature changes. the thick concrete can take hours to become same temperature as steel rails in the sunlight. thermal changes can cause things to change minute by minute to hour by hour to day to day
obviously using water for coolant it normally was not temperature controlled. 55F water going on a hot to touch part being machined can really make some big size changes

I remember when I was an apprentice the hardened parts of a press tool were referred to as "steelings" by the toolmakers.

Skinner Engine actually "barrel bored" the cylinders of their Unaflow steam engines, achieving the same sort result the Centre Square engine cylinder had gotten by accident. Skinner's reason for this was that the Unaflow steam engine cylinder design, with the large belt of exhaust ports in the middle of the cylinder and the surrounding "exhaust belt", caused the cylinders to expand in an un-even manner. By barrel boring the cylinder so when cold, they were a bit larger in diameter at the mid section, when warmed to operating temperature the bore became a "true cylinder".

At the time James Watt was developing the rotative steam engine, the claim (if I am not mistaken) for a good fit of a piston in a cylinder was that a "worn shilling" could just fit between piston and cylinder wall. Prior to the development of the steam engine, I do not think there was any pressing need for accurate boring and turning of parts the size of engine cylinders and pistons. Early steam engine pistons did not have piston rings, but used "tow" (a kind of rope) packed in grooves in the piston rings to seal the pistons to the cylinder walls. With the very low steam pressures of that time, this worked. As pressures and temperatures increased, clearances had to tighten up and some better means of sealing the pistons had to be developed- hence better boring mills and piston rings came along.

As for the distortion of steel due to ambient conditions, I have seen this firsthand during turbine and generator erecting work. I used a very fine optical level made by Keuffel and Esser ( " K & E") known as a "Paragon" level. This worked on the principal of a surveyor's level, but had a micrometer head on the side of the instrument. Once the crosshairs were near a graduation on the "rod" (an "Invar" scale reading in 1/100ths of an inch), the micrometer dial was turned until the crosshairs cut the graduation on the rod. The micrometer dial read + or - 100 thousandths on either side of the zero, so you had to take the reading on the "rod" and add or subtract the micrometer reading. On some of the hydroelectric turbines, we'd get a large draft tube flange, perhaps 12 feet in diameter with a welded section of the draft tube attached. This had to be jigged and welded to several other plate steel sections to form a "suction bend" for the water to leave the turbine runner thru. As the welding of the additional plate sections was going on, we'd take readings with the Paragon level on the flange surface to make sure it was not being pulled too far out of flat by the welding. If it was, we'd mark the areas where that happened and the boilermakers would peen or add weld accordingly. We used to take the level readings early in the morning, since the flange and draft tube were outdoors on a temporary erecting slab. When the sun rose higher in the sky and began to shine on the flange, I could actually track the distortion by moving the micrometer dial on my Paragon level, "chasing the graduation" on the rod. When breezes blew across the flange, I also saw it change shape by using the Paragon level.

When we set the draft tubes, we used Starrett 98 levels to get things roughly levelled, and used screw jacks which were left in the concrete pour encasing the draft tubes to do the levelling. Once we had things rough levelled, we used the Paragon level for the final levelling. When the screw jacks were tweaked to final level, some additional bracing was welded to the draft tubes to keep things from shifting during the placement of the concrete. We knew it would be pointless to shoot levels on the draft tube flanges until the concrete had set for a couple of weeks and its temperature normalized to ambient.

Similarly, on steam turbine work, we used the same Paragon optical levels. We'd set the sole plates for a large steam turbine and generator on shims up on a concrete turbine pedestal foundation. The total length of the foundation might approach 75 feet, and there'd be sole plates all along the sides and front where the high pressure front standard went. We shot elevation and levels in the mornings when things were cool, and had to do it when there was little or no wind blowing as the turbine buildings were left open at that point in the job. I remember as a young engineer, being told to look thru the Paragon level and see the steel move, and being quite amazed by it.

I carry the coefficient of expansion of steel around in my head, and like to calculate approximate changes in length on things like bridges, rails, and similar "off the top of my head". In high school, in our junior year, we had a basic strength of materials course. We learned about Youngs modulus and growth due to expansion. Our teacher gave us a quiz. The problem went something like: "A vertical column made of 16" Wideflange x --- lb section is 55 feet long. If the temperature when the column was set was + 50 degrees F, and the temperature rises to + 85 degrees F, what will the compressive stress developed in the column be ?

We set off with our slide rules and pencils and paper, going like madmen. We all flunked the test handily. We had calculated the compressive stress correctly IF the top of that column were restrained. No mention was made of the top end of that column being restrained, hence, no compressive stress developed. The teacher said we'd all done our calculations correctly, but all had failed to read and understand the problem. He then told us the grade did not count, and let that be a lesson to us all. Nice guy, a great teacher and a great course which I use in my work to this very day.

The early boring of cylinders followed the techniques used for boring cannons.
This always generated a lot of heat. In fact Benjamin Thompson (Count Rumford) observed that heat generated is the product of the mechanical energy generated by the horses driving the boring tool. This was the first suggestion of the conservation of energy but recognized only much later in the 19th century when the Caloric Theory of heat was finally dismissed (through the work of James Prescott Joule)

i used K&E optical level and jig transit for machine alignment for decades.
a old paper making machine with a lot of steam heat the 2nd floor and about 200 foot long and they had a floor expansion joint in middle of the building. they had 6 optical floor SS metal monuments deep into floor evenly spaced and at one time the 6 floor monuments were in a straight line but after decades the 3 floor monuments on one side of expansion joint were side shifted from the other 3 floor monuments about 0.200"
some rollers about 20 foot long used floor monuments on each side of expansion joint thus were out of parallel some 0.100" compared to rollers further down the machine that used other floor monuments for alignment
i remember an outside company come in and first thing they map out is all the floor monuments and how far off from a straight line. the company at one time was part of the papermaking machine company they knew exactly what to look for on old papermills. there full alignment report i found interesting as a classic case of what happens to a whole building with massive machines using steam heat in large amounts over time. reminds me of earthquake fault lines and cracks in the ground and the earth side shifting for miles

Also in the book, the price of a 72 HP engine in 1813 was $6000 installed with no insurance, for a 4 year guarantee the price was $10,000 which would be about $150,000 today. Not too bad considering the amount of work done.

I bet it was a lot more than that..... in 1913, that 10 grand was the same as a quarter million now, so an added hundred years should add considerably more. The BLS inflation calculator only went back that far. I'd estimate it as equal to at least a couple million now.

When you hear about "millionaires" back around 1880 or so, they would have had what is now mor like 50 to 100 million.

Those inflation calculators are the most un utterable bullshit. One tried to claim that a buck in 1855 was equal to 27 bucks now, which is clearly silly. Others show that much inflation since 1910. They are all over the map. I stick by my 100x since middle 1800s.

Back