What's new
What's new

Bought old engine machine shop

Hope that wasn't the place people used that chop saw, all that grinding wheel grit on the lathe ways:eek:

Also keep in mind, that from the buyers point of view, if they can't move it themselves the cost of a machinery mover can exceed the cost of the lathe.

A couple of years ago was a very nice and very big Lodge & Shipley that was for free near me to whoever came and got it. I was quoted $4,000 to move it. Probably got scrapped.

That looks like a comparable size to the three legged 14"x12' Whitcomb Blaisdell I took home. IMO a lathe like this is perfect for the home shop. It's archaic, but still capable, so not worthless IMO. The older technology means it's not going to go for a premium price but it can still be an upgrade from someone's 9" South Bend. The advantage of these old cone-head lathes is that the simpler construction (compared to a gear head lathe or newer lathes) permits you to take it apart into manageable components. I put mine in my garage with nothing but a flat-bed trailer, a couple skates, an engine hoist, and no help. I think you would be safe to price it slightly above scrap metal price, but If I was looking to buy it, I wouldn't consider third party rigging, I'd move it myself.

I'll also add that it looks like this one still has the factory overhead hangers and cone pulley. If someone was wanting an old-school cone-head lathe, having those parts saves a lot of extra fabrication.

Back