What's new
What's new

Need bench grinder wheels 6-inch,with 1 1/4 inch arbor holes

Cannonmn

Stainless
Friend wrote:

“Last summer I purchase an older tool grinder as part of a package deal with some other equipment I wanted. As luck would have it, the motor data plate is long since gone, so it has been a bit of a research project to determine a model number. After a lot of web-searching, I have finally figured out that it is a Rockwell Delta (Delta Rockwell?) model 23-505, manufactured sometime in 1945. The machine is in pretty good condition overall, although it is missing the miter gage and the coolant cup (I think I can figure out replacements for those…). More to the point, both grinding wheels are pretty well worn and need to be replaced. I found reprints of both the operator manual with parts list/drawing, and the original sales catalog for the machine. According to the literature, this grinder was equipped with 6 inch silicone wheels, 1-1/4” arbor hole, 1 inch face. One wheel was 60 grit, the other was 120. Catalog numbers for them were 1661 and 1662 respectively.

So now for the hard part: where to find replacements that fit? I have been poring over the McMaster Carr website trying to find something close, but have not really come across anything that matches all the parameters yet. I am going to contact MC tech support to see if they can help, but I can already see they are going to be pretty spendy if they have anything that will work. If any of you have other recommended sources for replacements I would appreciate the help.”

I’ve checked EBay and not found any wheels meeting all his specs, 6” x 1” with 1 1/4 inch hole. So they must be hard to find. Please find a 60mand a 120 grit wheel for him. I think he’ll need to be flexible regarding the exact material in the wheel.

Last edited:
If it looks like this then you need a plated mounted wheel found at most tool supply stores
Photo Index - Delta Specialty/Delta Mfg. Co./Delta-Rockwell/Rockwell Intl. - 23-505 Carbide Tool Grinder | VintageMachinery.org

This type of grinder is great for grinding carbide using a diamond wheel.

it is marginally good for grinding steel with an AO wheel, and for carbide with a green wheel.
Grinding carbide it may not give the sharp edge needed for carbide bits.

Wheel maybe 4 or 8 hole mounts. Measure the hole centers to be sure but I think the 4 hole wheels will fit the 8 hole mounts.

I've always wondered about those water cups...are you supposed to drip onto the wheel?

With using a diamond wheel and a small hose allows the water to gravity feed at a slow rate, so making a reasonable long grinding time. Have many hours using such grinders for carbide and a diamond wheel. Used to run tool bits to +- .002 by the hundreds at my first grinding job.

4 hole wheels are much more common.

The 1 1/4 stub locates the wheel to the center.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr....m570.l1313&_nkw=plate+mounted+wheel&_sacat=0

Back