Bradford Metalmaster - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great machine, I ran one during a part time job in the late 1960's putting myself through college. Would love to have it now in my shop!

Only problem with the machine, the top cover leaked oil when running. Pulled the cover and made a new gasket from a roll of gasket material I found in the tool room and solved the problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well the old gal came home with me today! Got it loaded on a tilt deck trailer and hauled it home with my land cruiser. I started getting the major components off and getting things cleaned up. Noticed a few fasteners missing here and there. I think this was repainted once in its past? I see a green color on top with a dark grey beneath it. I do see some sign of original scraping or maybe flaking my untrained eye cannot tell the difference. Will try and get some better pictures tomorrow.

The compound and cross slide took some serious effort to get off. This came out of a furniture factory so there was some serious gunk and an apparent lack of lubrication. I have a dial indicator coming in the mail so by the end of the week I will get some numbers for wear.

Not really sure where i am going with this project at this point but i figure getting everything clean and re-lubed while identifying any broken stuff is a good first step.

pdvuwwym.jpg
    kz6muirm.jpg

3. Likes Greg Menke, garyphansen, Frank R liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got more work done today. Drained the oil in the apron and got the compound cleaned up. I put a straight edge on the bed rails and with everything all cleaned up i was unable to get a .0015" feeler inserted at any point on the horizontal or triangular portions. There is one very very small place just in front of the spindle where i got the feeler about 1/4" inserted but it may have been from a ding in the rails. I took a finish cut file and very carefully knocked down the various dings i was able to find.

Im not sure how well the picture shows up but the second image shows what i think is some kind of flaking or scraping on the bed. Maybe a more educated eye can enlighten me.

I think things look pretty promising.

However, there was some neglect to this machine such as missing/mismatched fasteners, missing oil ports (buckets?), improper lubrication, and the compound was 100% crashed into the spindle at some point in time as a bite was taken out of the corner of it.

My hope is that this abuse came in the later years of this machines life at the hands of unskilled labor at the furniture factory it came out of.

More to follow.

lxqgxm6l.jpg
    jxaxob3l.jpg
    lowp9dll.jpg
    ibnkbncl.jpg
    x01s3itl.jpg

5. Likes Greg Menke liked this post