Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the information, does the catalog say how to adjust?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mmarmino View Post
    Thanks for the information, does the catalog say how to adjust?
    Sorry i just saw your question. Yes the manual does describe how to adjust everything. You should have two spring retainers that need to be set into the index plate. I had to fabricate one of mine because the tip was broken off. If you manually actuate the clutch relay rod you will see the cams lock in place on each side of the clutch. You need to adjust the index plates until this tension is "just right." So to speak... You should be able to get a good feel for it. I considered it good once i was able to get firm engagement at the handle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing new to report with this machine. Its been steadily chewing its way through 17-4 stainless like there is no tomorrow. Really amazing how well this thing runs for being 75+ years old! I was able to score a micrometer stop on ebay. I think it may have belonged to a Hendey? It was in abysmal shape when i got it but with some attention it cleaned up very nicely! Wish i would have taken before photos but trust me it was ugly. Underneath about 12 coats of paint was the lovely original scraping. Brings a tear to my eye... It needed a little bit of massaging to fit my ways but after some careful fitting of the lower jaw it cleared nicely.

Now the next big thing on the list is a milling machine...I would really like a horizontal with powered overarm, ideally with movable quill. Seems that K&T, Cincinnati, B&S, and VN all produced a version. I suppose finding one that isn't an absolute disaster is going to be the hard part.

qj20r3vl.jpg
    embzuzsl.jpg
    xjgnr6gl.jpg
    mr4fp3ul.jpg
    h0okt6jl.jpg

4. Likes ClappedOutBport, Kjelle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the looks of that chippan... you have been busy! Kudos.

6. Likes FJsapper liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ClappedOutBport View Post
    From the looks of that chippan... you have been busy! Kudos.
    Yep! And two more big boxes packed and crammed full as well! Im not exactly sure how much 17-4 chips.....err ribbons....are worth but I figure its more than beer cans.

odebtsul.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Digging the micrometer stop- I had one for a 14" Logan that I let slip thru my fingers... found a 6 position turret stop on ebay which might work out, its pretty close at any rate. Right now I have a shop-made stop, 2 pieces of HRS bolted together and a capscrew sticking out the side of one. More or less works. Need 2 of them, I have a job waiting that needs stops on both side of the carriage. Turning inside a 303 bar in this case...

9. Likes FJsapper liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Menke View Post
    Digging the micrometer stop- I had one for a 14" Logan that I let slip thru my fingers... found a 6 position turret stop on ebay which might work out, its pretty close at any rate. Right now I have a shop-made stop, 2 pieces of HRS bolted together and a capscrew sticking out the side of one. More or less works. Need 2 of them, I have a job waiting that needs stops on both side of the carriage. Turning inside a 303 bar in this case...
    You can also stick a cheap (HF $20) 1" travel dial indicator on a block there as well.
    You doo have to remember the number though (unless you zero it)

11. Likes FJsapper, Greg Menke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A while back you asked about making money with what started as a hobby. Yes, totally possible. I have some folks I get jobs from. One a little while ago paid as much as I had paid for the mill used to do the job... Naturally there was time and some consumables in that, so it was not a direct offset, depending how you want to do the accounting (as a business, or not). But, totally possible if you want to go that way.

13. Likes FJsapper liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    A while back you asked about making money with what started as a hobby. Yes, totally possible. I have some folks I get jobs from. One a little while ago paid as much as I had paid for the mill used to do the job... Naturally there was time and some consumables in that, so it was not a direct offset, depending how you want to do the accounting (as a business, or not). But, totally possible if you want to go that way.
    Yeah i was able to find a nice niche. My machine is well paid for by now and i've learned a lot along the way. I don't know exactly where this is going to lead but my long term goal is to do this full time. I am going to keep building skills and accumulating equipment a little at a time. In about 8-10 years i should be ready to really dive in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    You can also stick a cheap (HF $20) 1" travel dial indicator on a block there as well.
    You doo have to remember the number though (unless you zero it)
    yeah I cobbled up a thingie for putting a 1" travel indicator, used it a couple times. This job wants hard stops, travel set up with adjustable parallels and so on.