What's new
What's new

Bradford Metalmaster info

djones3158

Aluminum
Would anyone on here know how to identify the year on a Bradford metalmaster lathe other than under the headstock lid. I looked but couldn't make anything out. Thanks

thanks for the reply, going to look on the bed now. I've looked there before but this is a long lathe and I have a arbor press mounted on the far tailstock end which may have prevented me from seeing it. I will post back. thanks again

Hard to read under the press but it looks like 7039 with USN after it. I know my Dad got this lathe from a local Navel Ordnance plant back in the 50's. Thanks for the help.

Hard to read under the press but it looks like 7039 with USN after it. I know my Dad got this lathe from a local Navel Ordnance plant back in the 50's. Thanks for the help.

I'd look it up in serial book - but all that is listed under Bradford Machine is Power Hammers

I have a couple earlier SN books that had this info for Bradford:

1959 SN book lists this info for Bradford Machine Tool Co, Cincinnati, OH

* Starting at SN 2000 in June 1915, up to SN 4432, were flat belt driven cone-head lathes
* Starting at SN 4433 up to & incl 4999, began in 1927, were geared head machines
* Starting at SN 5000 up to & incl 5867 started in Dec 1939, all geared head, in 12", 14", & 16"
* Starting at SN 5868 up to & incl 7999 started in Dec 1940, 12, 14, & 16" size, Metalmaster lathes, geared head, w/ 12 speeds
* Starting at SN 8000 up to & incl 8255 started in Jul 1951 Metalmaster "Heavy Duty" 12, 14, & 16" lathes, geared head, w/ 12 speeds
* Satrting at SN 8256 and all subsequent #'s were geared head Metalmaster lathes w/ either 12 or 24 speeds

1968 SN book, lists these SN's for Bradford Machine Tool Co, Lansing, MI

1927: 4433
1939: 5499
1940: 5890
1941: 5900
1942: 6500
1943: 7000
1944: 7296
1945: 7400
1951: 8000
1954: 8256

Figure Bradford (lathes) went out of business in 1950's. And later, rights for the name and replacement parts went to Michigan?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the information..looks like 1943! Looks like this machine helped win WW2. When I get some of the clutter from under the lathe I will post some pictures. This lathe is pretty neat. The fact my Dad was the second owner I guess is why it is in good shape. It has a 8ft bed with factory chip pan, coolant pump[not hooked up now] and reversing lead screw, follow rest, faceplate, taper att. and various chucks. I guess the Navy checked all the option boxes! Thanks again for the help.

Love to see some pictures during the progress. It would be interesting to know how many are still around and haven't been scraped.

New to the forum; hopefully it's OK to reference Facebook. My page is "Murphree Motorsports" and there are some pictures and videos of it there. I traded a functional Atlas/Craftsman for the Bradford in a broken state. I've since had a replacement gear made, cleaned what had to have been 100lb+ of grime and old chips out, and painted it.

That is a beauty! Yes, truly a piece of history.

This post is an example of What a fantastic resource this site is!! John and morsetaper, you guys are a credit to the community, thank you for all you do.

Gotta say to the OP... dj, PLEASE, get that bench grinder off the lathe!! Needless to say, The grit storm from that will wreck havoc on a lathe.

That is just a violation, no other way to put it. :eek:

( while you are at it, get the arbor press off there too!)

John and morsetaper, you guys are a credit to the community

Its why I am here

Really, its all Ken's doing (member 4GSR) - or his family's. They bequeathed to me their info collection - adding large volumes to my meager collecting efforts

In turn, they got a great deal of that from Lehmann lathe

And that goes back over forty years to when Lehmann lathe occupied a single office in the Drilco plant in north Houston - presided over by George Nolde - a walking talking Lehmann encyclopedia (Drilco built downhole tooling and Lehmann made the necessary hollow spindle lathes)

I knew I would get busted on the grinder, lol. I started to put a towel over it! I only used it to touch up tungsten for my tig welder. and not for grinding anything that makes much grit. The ways are covered in that area as well so no harm is done. Besides 99% of what little I do anymore is within 18" of the chuck.As far as the press goes, believe me this machine is so stout I'm sure it's not causing a problem way down on the end.Plus I have no other place to put it! lol I also agree that John and Morsetaper really have a lot of knowledge to share, many thanks.

My (1941? if I'm reading the serial number chart posted above correctly) #6174 is getting restored and put to use in the coming year. It's definitely dirty, but it's stayed oiled up and doesn't have rust. I've since taken the three-jaw off (which may be a little big for this lathe?) but still need to get the backplate un-stuck from the spindle...

attachment.php

Thanks for posting your picture. That's going to make a nice machine. If you have any issues with the cross/length lever I have become quite versed on how it comes apart and how smooth it works when the shaft inside isn't bent!! lol

Attachments

• DSC00417.jpg
    DSC00417.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 158

Back