What's new
What's new

Bradley power hammer sold at auction yesterday

Those Bradleys are nice stout industrial hammers... brake and all. That thing looks a lot more chonky than the Little Giant 50 lb I sold on last year...
Amazing the prices used hammers and other smithing equipment command at the moment, compared to 18 years ago when I was starting to tool up...

Those Bradleys are nice stout industrial hammers... brake and all. That thing looks a lot more chonky than the Little Giant 50 lb I sold on last year...
Amazing the prices used hammers and other smithing equipment command at the moment, compared to 18 years ago when I was starting to tool up...

I believe a lot of this has to do with the internet..specifically YouTube. There are lots of Youtubers doing videos on forging .. making knives etc. driving the interest of these old hammers. I’m actually surprised and happy to see it...Young people actually taking an interest in working with their hands!! Not often the case.

YouTube and streaming TV.

Alec Steele's YT channel is immensely popular, the TV show Forged in Fire even more so, and there's a ton of smaller ones all over YT making knives out of bike chains, piles of ball bearings and other scraps of steel. Try pricing old railroad spikes these days. :)

Doc.

YouTube and streaming TV.

Alec Steele's YT channel is immensely popular, the TV show Forged in Fire even more so, and there's a ton of smaller ones all over YT making knives out of bike chains, piles of ball bearings and other scraps of steel. Try pricing old railroad spikes these days. :)

Doc.

My favorite blacksmithing channel is Torbjörn Åhman; I think he is Norwegian. Speaks very little, no uncessary filler material and production values to compensate for not having good content. Just gets on with business , the visuals and editing does a great job of explaining everything.

Blacksmithing - Forging a slitting chisel - YouTube

About 10 years ago or so I had seen Little Giants sell for $600 to $1000. Now they are $2700 and up.

Shapers have also gone up tremendously, probably because of Abom's channel.

Back