What's new
What's new

ATW "Patented Head"

Wow yeah- An early 4 speed I think, on the early High Duty bed. I have the impression from the sales docs that the 4speed headstocks disappeared fairly quickly. Thanks for posting it John.

John, Did this follow you home???

Looking at the threads and feeds on the QCGB there is four rows of numbers that repeat themselves. And the very top row, some don't show TPI just feeds. Can you imagine cutting a half thread per inch! That would be one turn in two inches!

I like the fact that the 110 year old 'tag" for threads / feeds appears untouched:)

John, Did this follow you home???

Looking at the threads and feeds on the QCGB there is four rows of numbers that repeat themselves. And the very top row, some don't show TPI just feeds. Can you imagine cutting a half thread per inch! That would be one turn in two inches!

That machine is in remarkable shape and definitely early; missing the carriage feed stop, feed fwd/reverse on the apron. The gear/feed chart would clean up beautifully with some sandpaper and black paint filled in.

I compared it to a pic of my old 14" ATW (approx 1912), fewer repeats and mine slightly finer. My 2 High Duty's live mostly in the 30/60 range... IIRC I used the top range once to cut tapered pipe threads on a steam radiator fitting.

A lot of machine for the $ if you don’t mind em old. And could be in great shape if on a ship most of its life

L&S went to great efforts to give their Patent Heads (also four speed?) a range up to 18 speeds - with such as these multi speed counter shafts

032.jpg033.jpg

As of 1902 they even had a niche product line making their Variator - thanks to Andy F. for the catalog

cat231a.jpgcat231c.jpgcat231d.jpg

Last edited:
A big pile of stuff to bolt onto the ceiling :D Some time ago I set up the lineshaft assy for a cylindrical grinder at Tuckahoe, 3 different belts feeding into it w/ clutches, a right-angle gearbox, the works mounted on a pair of 4x6 beams, maybe 800+ lbs all told- quite a bit of work getting all that up and dialed in... And then a factory would likely have many countershaft rigs like the above out on the floor. I imagine conversion to electric motors on each machine and more sophisticated headstocks were a most welcome improvement.

On followup, I rummaged the old ATW pics, found this one mentioned on PM in 2008, for sale down in Hampton Roads VA. Note similar headstock, must be very early 1900's, but on an older New American bed. Very glad we were able to get those photos back then, the photobucket images are long gone...

Likely the vertical handle is a high/low clutch (possibly freewheel in center), the horizontal is a high or low gear, making 4 spds. My 8spd 14" from 1912 used that system, but had two of the characteristic rotary handles each providing 2 selections. The later 12spd models had 3 rotary selectors, the middle one providing 3 gear selections. The High Duty design didn't go higher than that, the Pacemakers were the next step.

32-swing-american-lathe-(14).jpg

link to all related pics; Index of /all-photos/other-atw/hampton-atw

L&S went to great efforts to give their Patent Heads (also four speed?) a range up to 18 speeds - with such as these multi speed counter shafts

View attachment 327661View attachment 327662

As of 1902 they even had a niche product line making their Variator - thanks to Andy F. for the catalog

View attachment 327674View attachment 327675View attachment 327676

That thing is cool :) I wonder how the gears are engaged- apparently not constant mesh... The lack of a loose pulley makes me think there is a freewheel position as well, perhaps controlled by the lever associated with the shifter wheel.

Back