What's new
What's new

Bringin' Home A Springfield 16" Lathe

morestainless

Cast Iron
...gonna cut some steel. This looks like it has a good bit of life in it still. < .002" carriage drop over 50" says the flat tailstock rail. Good gears. Serial # 1094. Taper attachment. Lots of tooling. Yippee!

Attachments

• 20161221_180317.jpg
    20161221_180317.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,208
  • 20161226_085106.jpg
    20161226_085106.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,058
...gonna cut some steel. This looks like it has a good bit of life in it still. < .002" carriage drop over 50" says the flat tailstock rail. Good gears. Serial # 1094. Taper attachment. Lots of tooling. Yippee!

Looks good, not much wear for for it's age. Lots of broken handles, has it done a face plant? A member here has done beautiful job rebuilding his springfield, may be able to help with yours.

I'd say no to a face plant, rather, bumps and falling objects. Too many handles are intact. Minimal wear - no V way ridge. The relocation requires disassembly. Pulling head stock and bed today. I have studied Doc's excellent work on his Springfield.

Nice. It's surprisingly close to mine, except you seem to have a slightly older style headstock.

Take lots of pictures of the disassembly- not only for your own reference later, but I'd also like to see some of them. Mine, we suspect, had been partially dismantled before being sold for scrap, and was then reassembled/resurrected. There's more than a few little things on it I've wondered if they were original or some latter shopmade fix.

Quick notes: The oil line from the apron pump up to the carriage is broken, and you appear to have the leadscrew reverse on the apron and a threading dial, which I find kind of curious. If or when you take the carriage off, I'd be very curious to know if you have both miter gears for the carriage drive crown gear. (Due to the LSR, mine only had one gear, the selector lever appears to have been blocked off at the factory.)

Is it a threaded chuck or an L-taper mount?

Doc.

-I can get you some measurements off of mine. I'd presume they were essentially identical.

Doc.

Thanks Doc. That would be a big help. I can do 4 axis machining on my mill so fabricating a new one will just be a matter of having the right dims, ect..

I was wondering why there was no oil pressure build up when cranking the handle with the rack pinion pulled out.

I'll get some picts of the apron gearing today.

Sorry, the apron pict is blurry.

Is that the L taper chuck mount? I had some leather between the chain and the spindle taper when lifting.

I was just barely able to get to the face side bed bolts, through the oil sump openings (up to the elbow) and equally able to hold the socket wrench, with all the goo that was in there. No metal fragments, but the right compartment was partially filled with grease and there was some water or coolant in it. No sign of rust that I noticed, but I'll check more thoroughly tomorrow. Neat the way the sump overflow separates impurities.

20161230_173255.jpg20161231_101839.jpg20161231_150949.jpg20161231_150911.jpg20161231_150928.jpg

While never having used one, it sure seems like I would be very pleased to possess one............they look very capable.

I know mine's hell-for-stout. It might not be in the same class as a big Pacemaker or DSG, but it's big, heavy and has lots of iron where it counts.

To the OP: Yep, that looks like an L-1 spindle nose, pretty much identical to mine. If you ever find out for sure what the inner taper is, I'd be curious to know that, too. Mine's not necessarily any Morse I've been able to determine, and kind of buggered which leads to to think somebody may have tried to rebore it.

You do in fact have both miter gears on the carriage drive, which is interesting. What's also interesting is that somebody appears to have liberally greased the carriage gears- possibly due to the failure of the apron oil pump?

Apart from the difference in the headstock, it appears basically identical to mine.

Doc.

I know mine's hell-for-stout. It might not be in the same class as a big Pacemaker or DSG, but it's big, heavy and has lots of iron where it counts.

To the OP: Yep, that looks like an L-1 spindle nose, pretty much identical to mine. If you ever find out for sure what the inner taper is, I'd be curious to know that, too. Mine's not necessarily any Morse I've been able to determine, and kind of buggered which leads to to think somebody may have tried to rebore it.

You do in fact have both miter gears on the carriage drive, which is interesting. What's also interesting is that somebody appears to have liberally greased the carriage gears- possibly due to the failure of the apron oil pump?

Apart from the difference in the headstock, it appears basically identical to mine.

Doc.

spindle tapers are usually Jarno on old lathes.

Minor surface rust spots on some gears. Recommendations?

Attachments

• 20170102_120038(0).jpg
    20170102_120038(0).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 260
  • 20170102_120058.jpg
    20170102_120058.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 242
  • 20170102_120113.jpg
    20170102_120113.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 20170102_120147.jpg
    20170102_120147.jpg