What's new
What's new

Bringing 17th century technology to life

Jim Christie

Titanium
This turned up on my screen the other day and I thought I would post it here .
Maybe some others have seen it also .
Bringing 17th century technology to life
https://liu.se/en/news-item/hon-ger-1600-talets-tekniker-nytt-liv
The Swedish pdf with more photos may take some time to load .
https://adk.elsevierpure.com/ws/portalfiles/portal/60459695/Passig_og_rosetdrejning_Publikation.pdf
it’s nice to see a younger person taking an interest in old technologies .
I thought it might fit in with his thread that has just been revived
Rose & Straight line Engines.....
so I’ll post the link for future reference.
Regards,
Jim

The wave molding machine was revived or newly invented in the mid-19th century by. J. C. Brown in Forestville, CT. He mass-produced shelf clocks with fantastic rippled moldings. Collectors call them ripple fronts. I recall that someone in the 1960's or so managed to build a ripple machine and make reproductions of Brown clock cases.

brown ripple front clock - Yahoo Image Search Results

Of course, the rose engine has never been lost or forgotten. Yes, most people have no knowledge of them, and don't care. But there are people that have working examples and use them. Someone even started making and selling a modern version because the old ones cost a fortune.

Larry

I have looked at the modern versions on line.

For a mere $83,500 I could own a MADE Lathe... It is a beautiful piece of equipment, and I'm guessing I would get some tech support with this one; not possible to talk with Mr. Holtzapffel.

MADE Ornamental Rose Engine | A Modern Composition of Cultural Heritage

For a mere $19,975, I could have the Lindow version... this one is a little more affordable...
Lindow Rose Engine – Lindow Machine Works

This is a perfect way to take a break for a few minutes.

So not much has changed in a few hundred years...OT is for the rich!

The lathe of kings, yes. But plenty of people made a living using them to decorate watches, jewelry, pens and such. And don't forget the
paper money and stock certificates with mechanically engraved designs.

Larry

I have an ongoing "tools to buy" list, a bucket list for life experiences and then a lottery list... I'm lucky and truly blessed, but not that lucky as I haven't hit the lottery yet. I'm conflicted about the MADE Rose Engine. I have great respect for the equipment and the accomplishment, but conflicted as I assume everything was made with a CNC. I'll print the info and read it.

I want to make 3 D one of kind, incredible turnings, but if I'm using a CNC created lathe, why don't I just create my turnings on a CNC 4th axis?

My brain is having problems with buying a CNC created lathe to create something from the 1800s.

Is this piece of equipment the ULTIMATE EXAMPLE of Machine Irony?

The Article John posted indicated the museum digitized the book to aid the project in the reproduction of the lathe. There is an English Translation of PLUMIER's L'Art DE TOURNER EN PERFECTION.

I was thrilled when Lost Art Press did the translation from French to English of the Roubo books, and I purchased one on Marquetry.

I don't know if I can post the link for the pdf in the forum, but it was a quick search. 246 beautiful translated pages... This one will be printed today!

And again, the project was done with the aid of a CNC!

Back