What's new
What's new

brokeback shaper

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
beauty and utility of this tool is definitely in eye of beholder--

24 inch Rockford hydraulic shaper--transverse fracture thru baseplate

iffy repair--untested

machine is for sale---I will relay prospects to owner :)

owner of shaper will be at NWBA annual meeting this weekend with trailer load of items for sale---location Longview WA

if interested--send me pm with your contact phone and I will relay this to George

Attachments

• 000_0037.jpg
    000_0037.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 000_0036.jpg
    000_0036.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 341
  • 000_0038.jpg
    000_0038.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 324
  • 000_0039.jpg
    000_0039.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 310
  • `sfg.jpg
    `sfg.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
The repair is pathetic.............Certainly not worth anything.............however, being from the school of lost causes, I would put it on base, using the bolt holes in the base to tie it to said base. That base could be either a very heavy steel plate or maybe heavy steel runners to keep things in proper orientation.

Yeah, I'm thinking 1.5" thick steel plate under it all. That repair... I guess they could have used shorter scab plates but not by much! :O

Depending on where it is (I'm going to be over in coastal WA next week) I'd make an offer. I guess PM me if that's an option?

It would be nice to have the time and all to take the base off and do a braze repair on it................but even then, I would feel better with having reinforcement underneath. Easier to repair than some things that could have been perpetrated.

It seems to me it is a fairly simple repair, adding a couple of "I" beams or some such under it. A lot of times machines are raised up to make them easier to use anyway. It might take some shimming for a final alignment for the table support to be true, but it should still be a good machine, worth saving, I would think if nothing else serious is wrong.

It appears to me that the oak 4 x 4's under the base are secured permanently to the bottom. I would leave it that way and not look back. The only thing that end of the base is used for is the outboard support on the knee. IF your not doing any heavy cutting, that support is not needed. I've seen many big shapers like this one where that outboard support wasn't there and was used that way. That Rockford is a nice sweet shaper once it is cleaned up and running again. Seen a Rockford hydraulic shaper like this one that had a 48" stroke on it. Sure wanted to turn it on and take it for a test drive. It was in a union shop, they watched me like a hawk when I walked thru there, too! I was a visitor in there at the time working on another project back then. Ken

I hope whoever ends up with it posts the selling price. I'm in the market for a 24" crank shaper with the universal table and I'd like to get a better feel for where the market is at for these. I bought my 36" Rockford hydraulic open side shaper for the cost of the fuel to go pick it up in Port Angeles Washington.

My name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic.

Back