What's new
What's new

broken Starrett 123 48" Vernier Caliper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froneck

Titanium
I have to get more organized:crazy: Every time I start looking for something I put in a "good" place I find something I don't need or was looking for in my last search. Last post it was a chuck, this time it's a Starrett 123 48" Vernier caliper in good shape BUT! The inside jaw is broken off the non movable jaw. I purchased it thinking it would be an easy fix. I do have another 123 48" (6,12,24 and 36" too) The Fixed jaw on the 48" is removable, it's pinned onto the graduated bar. I removed the pins and removed the fixed jaw thinking I could buy another. I called Starrett but they will not sell the jaw! They claim it has to be fitted by them! The vernier scale is movable both inside and outside so what's the big deal in replacing it? I have another and don't need it and more so I don't have the time to fool with it! If there is interest in it I'll make photos and post them.

I have to get more organized:crazy: Every time I start looking for something I put in a "good" place I find something I don't need or was looking for in my last search. Last post it was a chuck, this time it's a Starrett 123 48" Vernier caliper in good shape BUT! The inside jaw is broken off the non movable jaw. I purchased it thinking it would be an easy fix. I do have another 123 48" (6,12,24 and 36" too) The Fixed jaw on the 48" is removable, it's pinned onto the graduated bar. I removed the pins and removed the fixed jaw thinking I could buy another. I called Starrett but they will not sell the jaw! They claim it has to be fitted by them! The vernier scale is movable both inside and outside so what's the big deal in replacing it? I have another and don't need it and more so I don't have the time to fool with it! If there is interest in it I'll make photos and post them.

Couldn't you make a new jaw, or you just don't want to mess with it? There was recently a member here looking to buy some 48" calipers, maybe do a search and talk with him.

Making one is what I was thinking someone would want to do. I one time had a big shop with lathes that could swing 48", 72"VBM and large HBMs. Still have a HBM that's 72" X 48". But don't do much big work any more. As I mentioned I do have another 48" plus all the other smaller ones. The 6" is used quite a bit, 12" often, 24" now and then but once in a blue moon I used the 36 or 48". If I had time I would make the jaw but usually I don't have time to think plus a long list of things I want to get done for myself! But my customers keep bugging me to get their work done first! Their bribery check keeps me putting them ahead of myself. As it is I've had it for years and noticed it while looking for something else so it reminded me to call Starrett. I have too much stuff I don't need or use like W&S tooling, 2 jaw chuck, face plate and collet nose piece. There's a turret lathe splash guard I don't know what it fits, not W&S though. Hate to scrap the stuff but I need a shoe horn to get in and out of my shop!

The problem is Starrett will not sell a replacement. Was told send it back to them for repair. They will regrind the jaws shorter so they can remake the Inside measuring tab like projection. I don't know if they will replace the end piece if it can't be reground. I tried to get them to sell me the jaw but they said they can't.

Looks like a new one is $3500. How much do they want to fix it? If the cost to repair is high and you don't really need thing, it might not be worth messing with.

As it is I've had it for years and noticed it while looking for something else so it reminded me to call Starrett. I have too much stuff I don't need or use like W&S tooling, 2 jaw chuck, face plate and collet nose piece. There's a turret lathe splash guard I don't know what it fits, not W&S though. Hate to scrap the stuff but I need a shoe horn to get in and out of my shop!

This might be sacrilege but at some point, broken expensive stuff is just junk that needs to be cleared out. It doesn't sound like you have time to mess with this. I have a $100 rule. If I don't need it and can't sell it for at least $100, I throw it away.

I don't know the repair cost, the way Starrett talked is I send it back and they will quote the repair. A 48" caliper will not be cheap to send it to Starrett and I'm sure quite a bit to get it back or tell them to keep it if the cost is beyond what I would spend. Plus as I mentioned I do have another that I do use once in a blue moon! As it is it will measure outside length. Not really good for diameter unless it can be done on the very end. Jaws are just too short to measure diameters above about 8" or so and less with this one. Yet I can use it to make some kind of linear measurement. Something similar to what some have done to alter a cheap digital caliper for vertical spindle travel on a Vert. Mill. So no I will not throw it away. To me it would be like scrapping a tie bar Hendey like I seen many rebuild here! I'm quite impressed with what they and others have done to other machinery. I'm putting it here hoping to find a home for it, if not put it back in a corner. Possibly making a similar broken piece, epoxy it on and hang it to decorate my office. To me it be better than some stupid modern art.

Attached are a few photos of the caliper. As to why I put it here is because here are the guys that can fix it, know the value and skilled to do what is required. Plus I don't want to waste the time of those running production shops that want functional instruments to use as received! I have read threads where those button pushing machinist questioned the need for a Ball Peen Hammer or Hand Taps. Please excuse my admiration of those that have demonstrated their skill here, I wish I had half their knowledge and skill! CIMG1872.jpgCIMG1873.jpgCIMG1875.jpgCIMG1881.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG1879.jpg
    CIMG1879.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 160
More photos, they look good on my camera. Not sure how good they turn out here. The bar is in good shape, there is what look like 3 rust spots on the bar that are about 1/8" in diameter but overall the main bar is in good condition. CIMG1882.jpgCIMG1879.jpg Looking at the photos with the 4 holes they didn't come out good! But those holes are in the bar where the fixed jaw is attached.

Attachments

• CIMG1878.jpg
    CIMG1878.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 81
So no I will not throw it away. To me it would be like scrapping a tie bar Hendey like I seen many rebuild here!

You don't need it, it's broken,it's probably expensive to both ship and repair and it doesn't sound like you have time or the need to rebuild it yourself. Also it doesn't seem to be rare or hard to get. Are you just going to toss it back on the pile?

Being I have another any effort to fix it is a waste of time for me but to someone that can use it doing what ever to get it operational might be a lot better than spending $3500 plus shipping to buy a new one. And it will measure correctly inside the jaws. It don't take up much room so it will not be thrown out! Heck some day it might be of use by me for some project. I have already spent more time than I have on these items, did find the item that started my search and got the information that I came to this site for. So if no one is interested in the items I offered I'll get back to what I was doing. So anyone interested in the chucks or caliper make me an offer.

Shipping is not really that expensive.

Probably no more than $20 to $30.

48" is not terribly long, nor would it weigh that much.

People send longer and heavier rifles via USPS every day.

I'm a bit confused why did you start this thread in the first place. If your intent is to try selling it as it is, why not offer it on the Tooling, Parts and Accessories For Sale or Wanted forum, instead or, at least, be more explicit in the title of your thread?

Paolo

I tend to agree........sounds like a solution searching for a problem.
I might not be surprised if the OP saves his metal chips........in case he needs to melt them back into barstock someday.
;)

It aint worth the time nor much money. I have a 48" Mitutoyo vernier and it cost me $0. My friend bought it just for the box so he could put his digital one in a safe place. He paid under a grand for the digital one and $100 or so for the Vernier in perfect shape on Ebay.

Heck some day it might be of use by me for some project

My grandpa taught me long ago that sometimes it's better to dispose of your junk and just buy another one if you need it. When things wear out, I throw them away. Tools, cars, computer gear. It's a constant battle not to be a hoarder. I also think "How will my kids clean this up when I croak?"

I don't want to be this guy. Michigan Man Forced To Sell 20 Cars A Month Might Just Pull It Off Now

My grandpa taught me long ago that sometimes it's better to dispose of your junk and just buy another one if you need it. When things wear out, I throw them away. Tools, cars, computer gear. It's a constant battle not to be a hoarder. I also think "How will my kids clean this up when I croak?"

I don't want to be this guy. Michigan Man Forced To Sell 20 Cars A Month Might Just Pull It Off Now

Yep. Wish I had a dollar for every junk filled machine shop I've walked into. machine shop owner = hoarder

Simply put I do have another 48". No I will not throw it away, I don't have 20 of them! It don't take up much space and some day I might be able to modify it and use it as a vernier measuring tool on some project I'll be able to get done as many I have while my competition couldn't do it! New it's worth $3500. Some retired tool and die man can fix it and sell it for a profit! I can make it look as it was new with epoxy though not accurate to measure ID and hang it on the wall in my office! To someone that can use a 48" caliper it will be a cheap way to get one, heck send it back to Starrett for repair! I want that is goes to someone that can use it, make me an offer! However I will not take it to the scrap yard! Plus I really don't care what your Grandfather said! Quite a few in this forum have taken what others considered junk and returned it to the glory it had when new! That something a button pushing machinist will never understand nor have the ability to read a Vernier yet be able to understand what a vernier scale is! Do you have one of those fancy Digital Vernier Calipers they sell on ebay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back