What's new
What's new

Brown Boggs pyramid rolls

M. Moore

Titanium
Just restored or refurbished a #43-30” x 12 gauge set of rolls. Anyone else out there have one from this maker?
Unfortunately it had been dumped at some point but someone had done a very decent job of welding the cast housing back together. Hopefully it will hold up to whatever I put through it.
They did not fix the bent main shaft that holds the large gear, it was obvous it landed on that gear, no broken teeth but a dented cover guard.
I straightened the shaft and made a sleeve for the bearing block from bronze and it now cranks as smoothly as it should.
I have only done one test bend but cant wait to do some real jobs. Goes well with my much larger Webb 6’x 1/4” initial pinch machine.

Michael

Attachments

• 28D8A729-18B9-4692-9983-5A9A8EAEE092.jpg
    28D8A729-18B9-4692-9983-5A9A8EAEE092.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 2F2CFA34-4701-4AAC-A352-0997A6B703C1.jpg
    2F2CFA34-4701-4AAC-A352-0997A6B703C1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 203
Nice work on fixing up your set of rolls.
I have seen a few Brown Boggs machines in shops and dealers over the years but can’t remember if I have seen of any like yours at the moment .
Here is a link to one that may have been an earlier version of yours
The Brown, Boggs Company Limited : Brown Boggs Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
From Brown Boggs 1912 Catalogue
The Brown, Boggs Company Limited : Brown Boggs Company : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

BROWN BOGGS
There are some pictures of other Brown Boggs machines at Upper Canada Village in post # 5 of this thread where I had posted the book link before.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-time-travelers-249503/?highlight=Brown+Boggs
Regards,
Jim

That looks nice! What is the dia of your rolls? Are they all the same or is top one bigger? I just recently got an old pyramid roll working and have use it on a few jobs so far. I did a thread on it earlier this year.

Jim,
Thanks for the links, I was pleased to find that catalog on OWWM when I went looking as it has all the info on the whole line of my type.
Mine is the shortest one they made and has the thickest capacity at 12 gauge. The rolls are all 3" in diameter.

Rob, I think all the rolls need to be the same diameter or it won't work right? I have never seen a set of rolls with different diameter rolls but I may be quite sheltered.

Initially I was just going to clean them up a bit but once I figured out the shaft was bent it became a bigger project. I was wondering why the first guy to respond to the Clist add opted not to buy them given the really low price. He must have checked them out better than I did, oh well it was just a bit more work than I bargained for and the price was so low it didn't make much difference. I usually assume that I will have to put time in on most of my machine purchases. I do love fixing up old machines and then using them to make money. If I could just fix them up and sell them and make money it would be even better but that is really hard to do.

Michael

on mine the single top roller is bigger than the two bottom rollers. The bottom rollers both drive the material on the one I have, dont remember the sizes of them but I know they are all over 3" dia
Most of the smaller sheet metal rolls I have seen all rollers are the same size

Back