What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe #13 Universal Manual

Bassdoctor

Aluminum
Hello Guys, I finally moved my B&S 13 grinder in and I need an operations manual. I would like a service manual too. I was hoping to download one instead of buying one. I want to know what oil to put where and what attachments the company offered for it. I would also like to know about when it was made. It's serial number is 6299. It seems to be a very useful machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark M.:typing:

Attachments

• B&S 13_1.jpg
    B&S 13_1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,150
  • B&S 13_2.jpg
    B&S 13_2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,022
Last edited:
I have the same machine which I bought years ago for next to nothing. Like yours it came with the workhead and tailstock but little else. I have to admit that I've barely used it due to the trouble of finding or making the necessary tooling. At some point mine was converted from the flat belt drive spindle to an Excello cartridge unit so I never had to investigate lubrication for the spindle. There is an oiling hole under a screw somewhere near the center of the table for the longitudinal ways, I put regular way oil in there.

I've never seen a manual for one but it's a simple machine.

Mine is missing some parts from the feed mechanism and I've never figured out what should be there. Do you think you could take a closer pic of the feed lever area between the two handwheels?

Sorry I can't offer any detailed info. Hopefully you get more use out of yours than I've gotten out of mine (so far at least, I hope to make it useful at some point in the future).

I also have the same machine, but mine was a flat belt drive. I have some badly water damaged manuals that even show the overhead drive. I converted mine to use a different spindle, and just use it at a surface grinder.

Josh

Does your manuals show the ID attachment ? Can these grinders be used for a surface grinder ? I really need a manual.

Hello Guys, I finally moved my B&S 13 grinder in and I need an operations manual. I would like a service manual too. I was hoping to download one instead of buying one. I want to know what oil to put where and what attachments the company offered for it. I would also like to know about when it was made. It's serial number is 6299. It seems to be a very useful machine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Browne and Sharpe No. 13 Universal Cylindrical Grinder. It is a later model than the one in your pictures; it came out of a Kodak factory.
I have a lot of tooling for it and the operations manual in good condition. The power feed has been disabled and someone added an electronic variable speed unit for the spindle motor. It also has a DRO, seen in the pic following plus a list of urls for the original images:

B+S-13-UniversalCylindricalGrinder.jpg

http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B+S-13-UniversalCylindricalGrinder.jpg
and for the same pic: Index of /machineshop/B+SCylGrind

LFLondon
[email protected]
Index of /machineshop

Not a surface grinder, but considered a universal cylindrical grinder/tool grinder.
I've been looking at one. Might buy it or a Crystal grinder.
John

Does your manuals show the ID attachment ? Can these grinders be used for a surface grinder ? I really need a manual.

Mine came with the standard B&S ID attachment. It was used to mount a Precision high speed ID grinding spindle. I swapped that attachment and the ID spindle & electronics to
Industrial Surplus in Connecticut for a bunch of tooling, some for the #13 and some for other machines. I.S. may still have that mounting bracket and it might be for sale.
Mine also came with a Buck AdjustTru 6 jaw chuck but someone stole it off the machine en route to me from its source in California.
I will dig up my manual and see what might be involved in scanning it.
Here's the title page:
Scan_Pic0001.jpg

Actually, you can probably still buy this manual (a new copy, scanned from the original, spiral bound) from my source:

Industrial Surplus, Inc.
337 Berlin Turnpike
Berlin, Ct., 06037
Phone 860 828 3541
Fax 860 828 6747
http://www.industrialsurplus.com

LFLondon

Sheys, I will be happy to take some pics if it will help you. Give me a day or two please because I'm working 16 hour days...ok. Thanks Lflondon for your help. I was wanting to see different ways to set this machine up. I just won a spindle on Ebay tonight that is labeled 13A and I hope it fits this machine. I need the mount for the right side of the spindle to drive the attachment. Could make it if I had a drawing.

Thanks, Mark

I'd very much appreciate pics whenever they come, take your time. Please keep posting as you get things figured out, I'll be curious to learn more about this machine.

I'm sure some people have used these for surface grinding but It's not ideal. The head isn't as rigid as on a surface grinder and at least on mine you'd wear your left arm out from cranking real quick. The power feed is too slow for normal surface grinding.

Good luck getting it up and running.

PM sent to Bassdoctor

I have an original B&S manual for the #13 Universal & Tool Grinding Machine 'Construction & use" operator's manual. 1943 100 pages. I have only 1 operation manual. Also have 2 repair parts manuals for the #13, 1965 & 1955, 30 pages.

Sent PM to Bassdoctor, he has dibs. If he doesn't want these, or if I don't hear from him I can offer them for sale to anybody who wants them.

Send me a PM to get your place in line if you are interested.

I found another B&S # 13 brochure through a Google search. It is a .pdf file
and can be viewed and downloaded along with all other material I have on the B&S#13,
including source info for the operations and maintenance manual.

URL for this document:
http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B+SCylGrind/B&S13-manual+brochure

Picture of a B&S Universal & Tool Grinder
http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B+S-13-UniversalCylindricalGrinder.jpg
Index of /machineshop/B+SCylGrind

Source for the operations and maintenance manual, some parts, tooling & accessories & B&S grinding machines:

Industrial Surplus, Inc.
337 Berlin Turnpike
Berlin, Ct., 06037
Phone 860 828 3541
Fax 860 828 6747
Industrial Surplus - Used machinery - Netsol

URL for image of the title page of the manual:
http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B+SCylGrind/B&S13Grinder-operations+maintenance-manual.jpg
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...n-sharpe-13-universal-manual-scan_pic0001.jpg

URL for a PDF file of the brown & sharpe no. 13 univeral & tool grinder brochure
http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B+SCylGrind/brown&sharpe-no.13-univeral+tool-grinder-brochure.pdf

Index of /machineshop/B+SCylGrind
B&S13Grinder-operations+maintenance-manual.jpg 07-Apr-2012 22:08 414K
[TXT] B&SNo.13grinder-manual+brochure.txt 14-Apr-2012 08:17 951
[IMG] B+S-13-UniversalCylindricalGrinder.jpg 03-Jan-2007 23:53 110K
[ ] brown&sharpe-no.13-univeral+tool-grinder-brochure.pdf 13-Apr-2012 21:45 7.0M

LFLondon, great link for the manual in a PDF:)
http://www.ibiblio.org/machineshop/B+SCylGrind/brown&sharpe-no.13-univeral+tool-grinder-brochure.pdf
Who knew a cylindrical grinder doubled as a surface grinder too:)
John

I agree. They thought enough of that function to make accessories available for it, a mounting plate for a magnetic chuck
and another for a vise. As was pointed out before, for surface grinding it is a much lighter built machine compared to a dedicated surface grinder.
The arbors are smaller as are the grinding wheel mounting hubs, i.e. about 50% smaller than the former.

I am just getting around to using my B&S #13 and have been cleaning it up and now have a real newbie question: how do you tighten the nuts on the grinding wheel hubs?
I can find no way to lock the spindle so that can be done. I did take the belt housing off and gently put lock grips on the hub of the largest pulley, a stick through the jaws to
hold to keep it from moving and was able to get by with that. I know B&S did not intend for it to be done that way. Any suggestions?

I have got a 1942 model with serial number - 3855. Hope this helps you. And as you, can't find a service manual for this machine, either. The parts manual doesn't even give you the sizes of the belts that goes on it. Good luck.

I have the same machine which I bought years ago for next to nothing. Like yours it came with the workhead and tailstock but little else. I have to admit that I've barely used it due to the trouble of finding or making the necessary tooling. At some point mine was converted from the flat belt drive spindle to an Excello cartridge unit so I never had to investigate lubrication for the spindle. There is an oiling hole under a screw somewhere near the center of the table for the longitudinal ways, I put regular way oil in there.

I've never seen a manual for one but it's a simple machine.

Mine is missing some parts from the feed mechanism and I've never figured out what should be there. Do you think you could take a closer pic of the feed lever area between the two handwheels?

Sorry I can't offer any detailed info. Hopefully you get more use out of yours than I've gotten out of mine (so far at least, I hope to make it useful at some point in the future).

I know this thread is 14 years old, but any chance anyone has one of these, and understands how the manual/auto reversing lever works? Ours is missing some parts to make it auto reverse. We bought a manual, but the "parts breakdown" only shows the parts, not where they go.
Any help would be appreciated.

Just a note...
To surface grind, you need the spindle extension adapter as well as the mag chuck.
It has an outboard bearing, not just a taper extension. Yes I have one, NOS.

-Doozer

I just bought a B&S #13 s/n 5381 (built in 1943) with nearly every attachment made for it. I can help with photos if you need something specific.

Just degreased and un-stuck the taper holding and end-mill grinding attachments after they had sat since WWII, and now moving on to fix the fine-cross feed engagement - the pin seems to have come out of a slot.

Torin...

Back