What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe 1877 Micrometer.

sambo

Aluminum
Just found this the other day. Seem very hard to find. Are there many others out there?

Attachments

• $_57CAXXO611.jpg
    $_57CAXXO611.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,097
Oh ya...... Yes, they are pretty rare, I have a nice one but it does not have my last name on the back like yours! It is also very rare to have one in the case!

Great find and good ad to your collection.

I see you are familiar with this particular piece. Could A. Robertson be a distant relative? Are these more rare than a Victor or an A.J.Wilkerson? $_57 (30).jpg

Yes I would say you see a lot less of them than the Victors, I mean the Victor's frame shape was a huge practical improvement over this. As for the Wilkinsons it would depend on which one, they had a lot a different versions and some I have only seen one of.

I don't think it was owned by a relative of mine, we know pretty much who they all were and what they did and I'm most likely the first in the family to ever have touched a mic.

I never thought that I would ever actually own one of these. It's funny how sometimes these nice thing's pop up. Thank you for your very informative reply. I think that if anyone would know the relative rarity of these early mikes, you would.

I never thought that I would ever actually own one of these. It's funny how sometimes these nice thing's pop up. Thank you for your very informative reply. I think that if anyone would know the relative rarity of these early mikes, you would.

Please, don't anyone take this the wrong way....

These are wonderful collectibles, and one in the original box ever more so.

However, I will disagree that these are rarer than the 0-1" VICTOR.

This year on eBay, at least four of these shallow-frame 0-1" have sold; three in the past 60 days.

I cannot recall a VICTOR selling on eBay for at least two years.

Hi Salemrule,

Do you by chance have the links or did you screen capture these? I would love to see them and also see what they are selling for nowadays.

I based my assement on what I have seen in the last 35+ years of collecting. I would say in that time there have been a lot more Victors than these B & S mics. The funny thing is something can seem rare and all the sudden a bunch show up.... I have seen it happen before. Kind of did with the Union Tool Shaver’s pat. Protractor..... only one had been seen to the collectors world in years, then 3 or 4 showed up in 6 months. I bought the one posted on the PM.

Makes you wonder just how much stuff is still out there? I know not as much old stuff comes to the market as it used too.

I did find 3 of the sales.... wow, nice to see these are holding their values. From $570 to over $ 800.... looks like two of the sales might be for the same one.... could have been returned due to condition?

Did anyone here get these? I still think this is just a fluke that they show up together.

I found the three and agree, two of the three are the same micrometer.

Sellers have been known to have a "back-up plan" should their intended sell price not be achieved.

Not that I would accuse anyone selling on Ebay of any misrepresentation.

Caviet emptor.

Joe in NH

I did find 3 of the sales.... wow, nice to see these are holding their values. From $570 to over $ 800.... looks like two of the sales might be for the same one.... could have been returned due to condition?

Did anyone here get these? I still think this is just a fluke that they show up together.

Yes, it does seem one was returned and relisted.

Over the decades I have discovered that very rare items, in groups of three, DO appear in close chronological proximity somewhat often.

Creating a temporary illusion of being common.

Only to never appear again.

And yes, I am certain in every instance all items were original, and not fakes.

It is simply a quirk of nature.

Hi Salemrule,

Do you by chance have the links or did you screen capture these? I would love to see them and also see what they are selling for nowadays.

I based my assement on what I have seen in the last 35+ years of collecting. I would say in that time there have been a lot more Victors than these B & S mics. The funny thing is something can seem rare and all the sudden a bunch show up.... I have seen it happen before. Kind of did with the Union Tool Shaver’s pat. Protractor..... only one had been seen to the collectors world in years, then 3 or 4 showed up in 6 months. I bought the one posted on the PM.

Makes you wonder just how much stuff is still out there? I know not as much old stuff comes to the market as it used too.

Sorry I did not respond.

I just realized I was not "subscribed" to this thread.

I found the three and agree, two of the three are the same micrometer.

Sellers have been known to have a "back-up plan" should their intended sell price not be achieved.

Not that I would accuse anyone selling on Ebay of any misrepresentation.

Caviet emptor.

Joe in NH

Hi Joe !

I think we all missed THE BEST one.

A.jpgB.jpg

Back