What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe 2g video.

BSaddict

Plastic
Hello all BSaddict here.
Today I completed my first setup from tear down and clean to running good parts. Very proud day for me. Took 12 hours total.

https://youtu.be/9kOD8TiBm-k

Just a simple ferrule. Feed, form, center, drill, drill, counterbore, cutoff.

Have a great weekend.

P.s. sorry for poor video had to hide phone.

Last edited:
Hello all BSaddict here.
Today I completed my first setup from tear down and clean to running good parts. Very proud day for me. Took 12 hours total.

https://youtu.be/9kOD8TiBm-k

Have a great weekend.

Nothing there for me. And do not say that I didn't try because you know that I did.

If you could, it would be fun to show how you do the setup.

I really hope to some day make many videos with these machines. Unfortunately the only exposure i have is at work where im not allowed to record. Perhaps i can talk to my boss and see if it is ever possible.

I really hope to some day make many videos with these machines. Unfortunately the only exposure i have is at work where im not allowed to record. Perhaps i can talk to my boss and see if it is ever possible.

You'd better take that video down if you've been told that's it's not allowed.

Then ask the boss if you could make some videos, and post them.

suggestions:
1. use a tripod, set camera closer to headstock.
2. Use some lights into the working area, pull back the guard so we can see in there.
3. Only show the machine, don't move camera around, we got a glimpse of some of the shop (this might be the reason for no videos)

Who layed out the cam and how was it cut?
Last shop I was in that still was running Brownies, was Forbes Machine in Eastern Pa. He a had a manual devise that cut the cam, they weren't ground to shape.

BS,
Early in my career I worked at a job oiling, removing chips and keeping the bar feeders full on a line of screw machines. This was late 60's. They had several ultra's but mostly well maintained older B&S machines. A few drop of oil and some routine tool changes and these things made good parts all day. Cool little machines, nice to see and hear one running.
spaeth

Last shop I was in that still was running Brownies, was Forbes Machine in Eastern Pa. He a had a manual devise that cut the cam, they weren't ground to shape.

I had a CNC cam mill,it cut perfect cams. Immaculate finish,no need for grinding.

SAACO CAMEX out of chicago Illinois does all our cams for us now. Although i think this was one of our older cams done by auto tool design in clevaland Ohio before they closed.

You'd better take that video down if you've been told that's it's not allowed.

Then ask the boss if you could make some videos, and post them.

suggestions:
1. use a tripod, set camera closer to headstock.
2. Use some lights into the working area, pull back the guard so we can see in there.
3. Only show the machine, don't move camera around, we got a glimpse of some of the shop (this might be the reason for no videos)

Im not too worried of them finding the video. Youre right if i was to ask i would definitely bump up the production. Lights are a must have!

Hello all BSaddict here.

Have a great weekend.

I just purchased a 2G machine identical to yours. I'm a novice machinist and this machine kind of intimidates me, I always think I'll break something. I have a small business and I want to scale manufacturing a few engine components, mainly wrist pins and a few other simple parts. My thinking on it is that a CNC lathe costs a lot of money, and these machines are cheap on the used market. Certainly an army of single spindle screw machines can produce at least as much as a modern CNC lathe for a fraction of the price since we will be producing the same part repeatedly? Since the parts I'm making are simple (hollow pins and bushings basically), and we will be making a whole lot of them, thus setup time compared to production time is insignificant (these machines may go years without ever having to be setup again) I was wondering if perhaps you or anyone else reading this may be willing to offer training? Potentially even just training over a video call? I've already read the automatic screw machine handbook produced by brown and sharpe so I'm not completely ignorant, I just don't want to risk breaking the machine. These machines can be had for 600 to 1000 dollars all day long and I am confident that if I can learn it then we can save more from the scrappers and put them into service for decades to come!

Back