Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Brown & Sharpe bench micrometer #245 operation

New guy here so my apologies if I'm in the wrong sub forum. If so feel free to move the thread.

I purchased a Brown & Sharpe bench micrometer for the purpose of measuring the pressure ring diameter of bullets and hoped it would come with an operators manual but it did not. It arrived in unharmed in a wooden case and appears very clean and operational.

It has the large micrometer hand dial on the right and a dial indicator for the "base anvil" on the left. There is a lever below the dial indicator I'm guessing is used to either lock down the anvil or possibly zero it.

Any help or instructions on the proper set up and use of it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Picture is not my actual micrometer but the same model

s-l1600.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Others can correct me if I'm getting this wrong, but I think what you've got is perfect for what you're intending.

The lever is, I believe, used to open the anvils so you can insert the object you're measuring. The Micrometer is used to set the target diameter you desire (with the dial indicator on "0").

In use and once set to your target diameter. You flip the lever to open the anvil, insert your bullet. Release the lever. The dial indicator will show you how far from your target dimension the actual object (bullet) is.

3. Likes HufD1963, Eric M liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And the knurled thumbscrew is used to adjust the height of that square 'stage' below and between the anvils. That enables you to pick-up the diameter of the bullet from the same or roughly the same place each time without having to hold it perfectly in position by hand.

5. Likes HufD1963 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, very helpful information.

All I had time to do was unpack it this morning but I will be getting more familiar with it this evening.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpster_diving View Post
    And the knurled thumbscrew is used to adjust the height of that square 'stage' below and between the anvils. That enables you to pick-up the diameter of the bullet from the same or roughly the same place each time without having to hold it perfectly in position by hand.
    All your advise was spot on thanks again. I zeroed the unit on a .243" pin gage then tested it on a .242" & .244" pin gage. Worked perfect!

Pics are my actual bench mic.

img_20200114_133508944.jpg

img_20200114_133524547.jpg

img_20200114_133553146.jpg

8. Likes Eric M liked this post