What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe bench micrometer #245 operation

HufD1963

Plastic
New guy here so my apologies if I'm in the wrong sub forum. If so feel free to move the thread.

I purchased a Brown & Sharpe bench micrometer for the purpose of measuring the pressure ring diameter of bullets and hoped it would come with an operators manual but it did not. It arrived in unharmed in a wooden case and appears very clean and operational.

It has the large micrometer hand dial on the right and a dial indicator for the "base anvil" on the left. There is a lever below the dial indicator I'm guessing is used to either lock down the anvil or possibly zero it.

Any help or instructions on the proper set up and use of it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

Picture is not my actual micrometer but the same model

s-l1600.jpg

Others can correct me if I'm getting this wrong, but I think what you've got is perfect for what you're intending.

The lever is, I believe, used to open the anvils so you can insert the object you're measuring. The Micrometer is used to set the target diameter you desire (with the dial indicator on "0").

In use and once set to your target diameter. You flip the lever to open the anvil, insert your bullet. Release the lever. The dial indicator will show you how far from your target dimension the actual object (bullet) is.

And the knurled thumbscrew is used to adjust the height of that square 'stage' below and between the anvils. That enables you to pick-up the diameter of the bullet from the same or roughly the same place each time without having to hold it perfectly in position by hand.

Thank you, very helpful information.

All I had time to do was unpack it this morning but I will be getting more familiar with it this evening.

And the knurled thumbscrew is used to adjust the height of that square 'stage' below and between the anvils. That enables you to pick-up the diameter of the bullet from the same or roughly the same place each time without having to hold it perfectly in position by hand.

All your advise was spot on thanks again. I zeroed the unit on a .243" pin gage then tested it on a .242" & .244" pin gage. Worked perfect!

Pics are my actual bench mic.

IMG_20200114_133508944.jpg

IMG_20200114_133524547.jpg

IMG_20200114_133553146.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but I just got a Brown and Sharpe 245 bench micrometer. According to a description of this micrometer in a 1951 Brown and Sharpe Catalog, the anvil pressure is adjustable from 8oz to 2 lbs. Without any instructions, I cant figure out how to do that. I am guessing there is a screw I have to turn, but which one. I would like to reduce the pressure, because the anvil is currently moving almost all the way inward, before the needle on the guage moves to zero. Does anyone here know how to do this? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I figured out which screw adjusts the anvil pressure and labeled its location.
Screwing it clickwise increases the pressure, while going counterclockwise decreases it. You would have to use a force guage if you needed to find an exact setting. That is, it is a continuous adjustment and not calibrated. My post answers my own question but I thought I should post it anyway in case others need need an answer in the future for the same question.

6e55f03a1c1faa75896905a9c08f9670.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back