What's new
What's new

Brown and Sharpe Dividing head

Budget?

Plastic
Hey folks, I just got myself a dividing head. IMG_20200103_164628.jpg I Got an unbelievable deal on it, a whopping 47 buckaroos. I am going to do my fair share of research but is there anything major I should know about this dividing head? like quirks, limitations, and drawbacks? thanks for any advice.IMG_20200103_164643.jpgIMG_20200103_164712.jpg

Any gears with that? Mine has two additional "hole plates" (total three) which I think is standard, at least in my size.

Joe in NH

No, I didn't get any gears, I'm going back next week and I know there are boxes of gears laying around so there may be some that I can buy or take if he feels like I paid for them with the dividing head. also no extra plates, unfortunately, I didn't see any. I didn't look very hard but again next week ill see if I can find and grab them.

IIRC the trunion type shown are different internally than the quadrant type shown in John's brochure.

I have some good news. I went back and found the box of gearsIMG_20200106_161708.jpgIMG_20200106_161717.jpg as well as some centers and the faceplate IMG_20200106_164222.jpgIMG_20200106_164230.jpg

Thanks for posting . It helped identify the one i picked up awhile ago. Old and crusty was not able to find name till i saw where it was at on yours. So small on mine had to use a eye loupe to see. Letters were .050 tall. Nice score with all the gears. Mine has non. Dont think ill ever need em anyways but would be heck of a project to make.

Thanks for posting . It helped identify the one i picked up awhile ago. Old and crusty was not able to find name till i saw where it was at on yours. So small on mine had to use a eye loupe to see. Letters were .050 tall. Nice score with all the gears. Mine has non. Dont think ill ever need em anyways but would be heck of a project to make.

I had been looking for one for so long and was just about ready to fork over a few hundred bucks. nut then I bought this one with just about everything for cheap and then even found another small elis head and got it for $25 haha the guy must really not know much about machine tools

Before setting up gears make sure you have disengaged the main spindle from the worm drive. The main spindle must turn freely. Behind the hole plate, on the bottom there is a locking pin which engages into a hole in the plate to fix the hole plate. Push it out of the hole in the plate. It is mounted to a knurled knob (eccentric). One of the nuts will lift the worm gear up and free the main spindle. Look for some arms with a long slot for mounting the gears to the end of the table.

Last edited:

Back