What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe mill serial number

rustytool

Stainless
I'm trying to date a Brown & Sharpe No.2 universal light type mill.
The serial number is 7531
Over at Vintagemachinery.org I found that the last serial number for 1935 is 6222.
And the last one for 1947 is 9200.
Any way I can narrow down the date ?
Also there is a number DPC10718. What is that ? Greg.DSCN0103.jpg

DSCN0104.jpgThanks, John, That's close enough for me.
I actually just traded the K&T 2H I just picked for this mill that belonged to a friend of mine.
I had only ever seen a 2HL in person and knew the 2H was bigger (and 50 nmtb vs 40 nmtb).
But when it showed up I was like, OK, that might be just a little too big for the stuff I do in my garage.
My friend with the B&S 2L was looking for a bigger mill so we swapped and each got the perfect machine for our needs.DSCN0102.jpgDSCN0105.jpgDSCN0072.jpg

I have the same mill. Slowly bringing it back to life. It came with the right angle head and is in pretty good shape. NMTB 40 horizontal with FC 30 spindle on the head. Finally have 3 phase power but didn't have any tooling. After much searching I found a good selection of tools for both heads. Cool old machine but limited resources out there for manuals and parts. Good luck with yours.

thanks
jesse

Rustytool,
I have a member of that family too. And a close relative at
that. Serial #7681. Gets called on here pretty often. A few weeks
ago I made some nice cuts using a 7/8" wide x 6" dia. stagger tooth
cutter cutting 1.5 deep. Material was 6061 Aluminum, the cut
finished at 1.5 wide by 1.5 deep and was made in 2 passes on 4
parts. The machine easily held size and cut without any issues.
My machine does have an additional feature of rapid traverse at
the push of a button. I also have the vertical head. Nice old iron,
you will enjoy using it. Oh do I spy a Logan shaper in the background?
spaeth
MVC-026S.JPG

Spaeth, I sold the B&S when I got the K&T.
Yes, that is an 8" Logan shaper. Nice little shaper. I'd be getting a bigger one now if it weren't for the 3 feet of snow in my drive way and the unplowed city streets. Maybe next year. Greg.

Where do you find the serial number book? I just got the same machine (serial number 7952) and I'd like to find some documentation of the year it was made. Seems reasonable based on your post that it would have been made in 1944.

Where do you find the serial number book?

Old book seller maybe

Full title is Serial Number Reference Book for Metal Working Machinery - there are multiple editions

Don't expect a lot - there are only a few numbers related to the topic of this thread

Back