What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe No. 2 Surface Grinder Spindle Motor Questions

Mike_K

Plastic
Hey guys (and gals),

I have an old B&S No. 2 surface grinder manufactured ~8/43, S/N 16401 that I am refurbishing. Purchased for $400 and was still working but was horribly filthy and needed a complete overhaul and painting. I've made good progress. Taken everything apart that I could and cleaned and painted everything except the main body. Actually 1 side has a primer coat.

I'm working in a single bay garage which is always challenging. I designed a way to move the grinder around by attaching wheels to the threaded base holes and it worked great on the first try. Unit weighs ~1300 lbs. Wheels can be installed or removed in about 15 minutes. I also have and old Atlas lathe approx. the same age that was completely refurbished a year ago and came out beautiful if I do say so myself.

I am looking for information on buying a spindle motor for the grinder as opposed to using the large motor in the base to run both the spindle and table. A 1 hp motor is recommended for the spindle motor. A 1/6 hp motor is all that is recommended to run just the table. I should be able to find the 1/6 hp motor without a problem.

Does anyone have experience installing a spindle motor into a No. 2?

Is there an off-the-shelf motor that can be used?

The below items I found in the manual that is close to my grinder's mfg year that would be needed along with the motor. I contacted Bourn-Koch and they responded once only and left me hanging. I will try them again if necessary after hearing back from you all.

6067 Coupling Washer
6068 Coupling Motor Plate
6069 Motor Flexible Coupling Disk
6070 Coupling Spindle Plate

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• B&S Surface Grinder Mfg and Serial Number Plates Restored.jpg
    B&S Surface Grinder Mfg and Serial Number Plates Restored.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 90
  • B&S Surface Grinder Mfg and Serial Number Plates.jpg
    B&S Surface Grinder Mfg and Serial Number Plates.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 90
  • B&S Surface Grinder Table Right Side Painted.jpg
    B&S Surface Grinder Table Right Side Painted.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 93
  • B&S Surface Grinder Table Right Side.jpg
    B&S Surface Grinder Table Right Side.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 90
  • B&S Surface Grinder Front View #2.jpg
    B&S Surface Grinder Front View #2.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 112
Hello,

We have the same machine but a different spindle. I did not make the mod. There are some pics attached to help with ideas.

I do not see the pictures. And how do you know you have a different spindle?

Thanks,
Mike

Pope , Setco and others made replacement spindles for grinders and I have seen used ones for sale at times in the past.
Precision Spindle Repair & Rebuild | Slide Repair & Rebuild | Milling Heads - Setco
I'm not sure if there is a model that would fit your older machine .
There was some discussion about them in this thread.
Perhaps this will give you some ideas.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-no-hydraulics-306045/?highlight=Pope+Spindle
Also here
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...urface-grinder-114108/?highlight=Pope+Spindle
Regards,
Jim

Hey guys (and gals),

I have an old B&S No. 2 surface grinder manufactured ~8/43, S/N 16401 that I am refurbishing. Purchased for $400 and was still working but was horribly filthy and needed a complete overhaul and painting. I've made good progress. Taken everything apart that I could and cleaned and painted everything except the main body. Actually 1 side has a primer coat.

I'm working in a single bay garage which is always challenging. I designed a way to move the grinder around by attaching wheels to the threaded base holes and it worked great on the first try. Unit weighs ~1300 lbs. Wheels can be installed or removed in about 15 minutes. I also have and old Atlas lathe approx. the same age that was completely refurbished a year ago and came out beautiful if I do say so myself.

I am looking for information on buying a spindle motor for the grinder as opposed to using the large motor in the base to run both the spindle and table. A 1 hp motor is recommended for the spindle motor. A 1/6 hp motor is all that is recommended to run just the table. I should be able to find the 1/6 hp motor without a problem.

Does anyone have experience installing a spindle motor into a No. 2?

Is there an off-the-shelf motor that can be used?

The below items I found in the manual that is close to my grinder's mfg year that would be needed along with the motor. I contacted Bourn-Koch and they responded once only and left me hanging. I will try them again if necessary after hearing back from you all.

6067 Coupling Washer
6068 Coupling Motor Plate
6069 Motor Flexible Coupling Disk
6070 Coupling Spindle Plate

Thanks,
Mike

Having priced some parts from B&K for a brown and sharpe SG before, be sitting down when you see the prices for any parts...

Out of interest why do you want to switch out the motors?

That's what I figured.

I heard the quality of the grind would be better with a spindle motor plus less power consumption.
A 1.5 hp motor in the base as opposed to a 1 hp spindle motor and a 1/6 hp table motor.

Thanks,
Mike

A 1 HP motor will/may bog down on you where the 1-1/2 HP will not. You will wish you had the 1-1/2 HP motor. My B & S 612 has a 1-1/2 HP motor and even though I don't take heavy cuts, I have loaded down the motor before from not dressing the wheel as I should. As for the 1/6 HP motor, it should not make any significant difference to any performance of the grinder. In fact, if both motors are 3-phase, the 1/6 HP motor will ride off the current of the 1-1/2 HP motor! Don't get me wrong, it will pull a amp or two but compared the amp rating of the 1.5 HP motor, it will be unnoticed. Stick with the motors you got. Don't make it more complicated than you need. Ken

I thought that using a spindle motor would make it less complicated as it's a direct drive connection and the base/table motor would be 1 small belt to the table control pulley.

I understand your point though as my idea is more complicated than just using what it came with.

Thanks,
Mike

I use the original motor in mine. I run it with an electronic/digital/static phase converter not a rotary.
The long belt is on the machine running around all the pulleys. I do not have the second belt on the machine to run the table on the same set of pulleys. The belt is installed with at twist (crisscrosses itself). I am still running it by hand crank. I do not use it enough to really put a lot of money into it. I lucked out and got mine for $100 and the price of moving it.

I have one that was converted before i got it. It's the one with the pully at the center of the shaft (It has a US Army tag on it so I think it is a WWII machine)

What they did was make a bracket and bolt it to the spindle casting. It has a 3/4 HP 3450 Hp 120 V single phase motor bolted to the bottom. When I got it it had a rubber flat belt on it. It wore out and I took the existing shieves and stuck them in the lathe and converted them to use a poly-V belt (Easy to come by) the old belt slipped if you tried to take more then .005 but now you can tear off .015 all day long and then carry a couple of tenths on the next part.

Oh, they have a small motor with a V belt running the table.

If your spindle is still good (or even good enough) I'd make a bracket. I see no reason you couldn't even make one for the outboard spindle.

NOW, while I got everybody on the phone, I screwed up the packing material when I took the spindle apart to change the belt. - It leaks the oil out the front as fast as I put it in. - McMaster sells packing. Anybody know what size. (I am assuming the graphite/Araimid fiber stuff would be the stuff to use....Or is there any place to get it elsewhere.

Thanx,

M.S, Molk in Cleveland. - (Feel free to PM me - I will take some photos of the bracket if anybody wants them - I'll even make some CAD drawings if anybody wants them.

Thanks for that MM. My military decal says: "This machine conforms to orders of the war production board as to finish of painted surfaces".

If you give me your s/n I might be able to give you the month/year yours was manufactured?

Nice job with the sheaves! I used a poly link belt on my Atlas lathe. That saves about 8 hours if you needed to replace the old continuous belt according to Tubalcain.

Why did you take the pulley off the spindle to get the belt off instead of just cutting it off?

My information recommends a 1HP motor for the spindle direct drive.

My spindle is solid. I have the manual but don't remember seeing any packing material listed but I will look again.
I was tempted to take my spindle apart but stopped short as I didn't want to create more work.

I would like to see photos of the bracket if you don't mind? I've attached a photo of what mine looks like right now.
I'm assuming the 4 large flat-head screws is where the C-Face motor would mount? Or as you say use a bracket if I can't match the bolt-circle.

Can you give me the make and m/n of your spindle motor please?

MikeB&S No. 2 Surface Grinder - Spindle Motor Mount.jpg

Back