What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe No 5 Surface Grinder

texasgeartrain

Titanium
I finally got this home last week. Prior to purchase I had asked some advice and info on a couple of threads:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/abrasive-machining/advise-b-s-no-5-618-doall-1030-d6-340062/
and:
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-sharpe-no-5-surface-grinder-way-type-340079/

I was taking a bit of a chance, as I didn't get to physically inspect it first. Also I have never run a surface grinder, so I'll be learning as I go. But machine and shipping cost came in at a reasonable cost, so I can't go too wrong. Not exactly sure the manufacture year, but I have a pic of the serial number, 523-5-544.

I purchased an Operation, maintenance, and repair parts manual. I don't want to get into a full tear down of this machine at the moment, though probably later. I do want to lift the tables and clean and lube ways, as well as change voltage to 220 3 phase. I'd also like to inspect for and repair any hydraulic leaks when I lift tables. I'd like to be able to use the machine in a reasonable amount of time, in maybe a month or so, as time allows.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Last edited:
Im not sure if its an add on feature, but there is a rolling track of sorts, as well as an adjuster that appears could change the positioning of magnetic chuck.

10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

Oh, I recognize what that is. Don't know if it was a factory option, or shop-made (seems most likely!), but that's a simple profile/form grinding attachment. There's a cam mounted on the rail. The cam follower is lifting the left end of the chuck, pivoted at the right side of the table. A high spot on the cam will result in a low spot on the work. Since the cam follower is not aligned with the spindle axis, working out the geometry for a new cam could be a bit tricky!

On old horizontal milling machines, this technique was sometimes called "bridge milling", and 100 years ago books were lamenting that it wasn't a more widely known technique.

I'm not sure if the large micrometer knob to the right of the chuck is providing any fine adjustment, or if it was just a convenient large knob, but obviously the intent of that part of the mechanism is to shift the right end of the chuck in or out. Can't tell you if it was intended to grind/relieve a large angular shape, or just fine-tune part positioning.

I had a look in the machinery serial number book and I think your grinder is 1961. In 1960 they were using a four digit serial number, and in '61 they went to a 'code'. The 523 seems to represent a surface grinder, and the five in the middle is for Model 5 (a Model 2 is also listed). The last four digits are then the machine's serial number. It is not clear if the numbers indicate the lowest number of the year or the highest. The book lists the serial number 523-5-531 opposite 1961. They first used this 'new' code in 1961 on the Model 5, which also seems to be the last year it was offered. So regardless if it is the lowest or highest number for the year, it would have to be 1961 by default, I should think.

-Doug

Last edited:
Bringing this back to the top in hopes of catching Charlie's attention - tried to PM you Charlie but your inbox is full. This fellow with the other recent #5 thread has some drainback filter questions that he PM'ed me about and I thought you might be able to help. I haven't used a #5 myself.

B&S #5 Filters

I hadn't meant to post on this yet, but as it popped up, figured I'd add some info.

Somewhere or somehow I ended up with a brochure for this machine dated 1956 on pdf. I can't find it on VM, so if you gave it to me, thanks :D. The cover and specs page:

20.jpg 21.jpg

A funny and happy coincidence. That same brochure adversities and shows accessories like most brochures do. And I happen to win a lot of angled milling vices at an auction:

63.jpg

Got everything home and going through the vices and looking at this one:

66.jpg

Turns out its a B & S No 1.

At a later date I was going through that brochure and saw the accessories, and low and behold, the No 1 angled vice:

65.jpg

Hello, I must say that I am impress, just got a No 5 surface grinder and I was searching for information and field on this trend. Thank you for sharing all this useful documentation. It will be very useful for me and my “new” No 5

Back