Brown and Sharpe No2 Light mill versions

Brandenberger

Hot Rolled
Hi,

I'm considering a B&S No2 "light" type mill. This is a universal from
1941. This is the type without the knee motor. Everything runs fine other
than the knee is very stiff-- the machine had been used for a single operation
for probably decades.

I am struggling to find a manual for this model (easy to find the newer type with the knee motor). I've found the parts manual on vintagemachinery for this type: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2185/18326.pdf.

I've read some comments on PM that some of these versions had a purely mechanical rapid feed, but that it was an option?

This machine has two arbors, and an overarm support, and a full set of gears for driving the (missing) dividing head.

universal-mill - 1.jpguniversal-mill - 1 (1).jpguniversal-mill - 1 (2).jpg

What do those of you that know these machines think of these "no knee motor" versions versus newer ones with the knee motor? If rapids aren't there this is understood.

I may have a chance at a newer B&S No2 light machine with the knee motor and rapids (but condition unknown), hence the question. In some B&S brochure I saw at least some marketing text that said the knee motor allowed them to simplify the design quite a bit.

I talked to Bourn and Koch and they warned the knee motors are totally obsoleted at this point but that they will still rewind them.

-Phil

If table hand wheel right end has no "dial", it may incorporate mechanical rapid for the table screw?

Their Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines is probably more "findable" than a "manual"

My 1953 edition is full of oldies

Been a long time since I had a B&S without the rapid motor. If I recall correctly cross and knee have no rapid option. table "X" axis) one side the handle was direct the other was rapid. That is if you were Atlas! (man not the machine)

Frank

Phil,
I own a B&S 2A Light #7681. Have had it many years and still use it often. Mine does have the rapid travers for the X table movement. Pretty handy but you could get by without that feature. Depending what you plan on doing. If you need the rapid a guy could probably adapt a servo type power feed to make that happen. Looks like the rust on the column is the issue why the knee is difficult to raise and lower. They are good machines.
spaeth
DSCN2060.jpgDSCN2183.jpgMVC-100S.JPGMVC-088S.JPGMVC-026S.JPG

Brown & Sharpe Manual

Phil,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, this is what I have. An original Brown & Sharped operations & Maintenance including repair parts manual.

Attachments

• manual 1.jpg
    manual 1.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 86
Phil,

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, this is what I have. An original Brown & Sharped operations & Maintenance including repair parts manual.

Hi,
It is a bit hard to tell between the model cross-overs
in the early 1940’s.

The no knee motor and speed and feed changes on the
Column seem to be the important characteristics?

I’m going to pump 30 years of oil out of the coolant sump / base
Soon and i’ll Explore whether the right hand end of the
Table had a rapid gear...

Phil

Hi,
It is a bit hard to tell between the model cross-overs
in the early 1940’s.

The no knee motor and speed and feed changes on the
Column seem to be the important characteristics?

I’m going to pump 30 years of oil out of the coolant sump / base
Soon and i’ll Explore whether the right hand end of the
Table had a rapid gear...

Phil

I owned a light type at one time, it had a rapid gear for the table.

No2 light mill versions

since we are talking versions of the Brown & Sharpe #2 universal, the single ram should be noted.
It was solid, 3 1/2" diameter which allowed vertical mill adapters to clamp upon it.

No2 light mill versions

Since we are talking versions of the Brown & Sharpe #2 universal, the single ram should be noted.
It was solid, 3 1/2" diameter which allowed vertical mill adapters to clamp upon it. I didn't mean for this to vary from the the rapid feed topic.
In passing; I looked at the screw and gear assembly and how Brown & Sharpe did that. Clever wonderful people to do that.
My laptop is ready to blow, so no more from me.

I wanted to get into the tapered nose of earlier Brown & Sharpe mills. A Guy with a #1, has the same type tapered nose as a friend's #2 universal. I believe this was the advent of precise nose tapers. Normally, we would see a lock ring to contain the arbor. What they apparently did, was arbors with "ears" on them. They fit into the slots of the spindle nose face. The opposite of what we see now, with replacable keys. The B&S #9 or #10 had remarkable grip but many the old arbors were spun inside the spindle.
They had to have another way because they were going to precision bearings - to not be pounded upon. So they used the tangs and the taper to align it. There is something else about that tapered nose.

I know there is an answer here. I could delve into manuals but often the best explanation comes fresh from knowledge or memory.

Back