What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe screw machine value?

cb1

Cast Iron
Everyone's favorite topic, What's this worth??

Are vintage screw machines worth anything, etc., use as is, re-purpose, scrap, parts, etc.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Picture is all I got!,

cb1

Attachments

• 213213212113.jpg
    213213212113.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 277
Not a lot.

If it were a Swiss screw machine, IE, automated via cams and the like, it'd be worth at least something, but that's a manual turret lathe.

It appears to have some neat features, and seems to include some tools and other accessories, but it's old enough to have plain bearings, may be missing its capstan wheel, and turret lathes in general have very little value.

If you have a use for one they're quite handy, but if you're looking to sell one... well, good luck.

Doc.

Last edited:
I was thinking that I might actually have more value being a manual. CNCs have made small automatics almost completely obsolete. Not many people around any more who know how to generate cams.

That said, it still doesn't have much value.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

eBay roughly puts them $800 to $3500.

If having a small production part I think one might be handy.

For example here is one for $850, running and a guy who knows how to use it to show you the ropes..and likely some extra gear..perhaps even a customer contact?
One could likely be clicking out small parts perhaps at 100 pieces an hour.
Screw machine Brown & Sharpe 00 - general for sale - by owner

Sorry Buck but not the same machine. This one is cam driven.

We,ll, its at an online auction. If I win what I am looking at, then I might buy this to fill the trailer if it goes for under a C note.

Thanks,

cb1

“Buy it to fill the trailer”….Dangerous thought.

I owned a twin to that for a while and for the same reason. Easily got a $100 worth of pleasure figuring out the how&why. Finally decided it wasn’t worth the room to ME, and executed a lateral trade escape maneuver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$292.95 after tax and fees to some lucky bidder.

-If you didn't have a specific need for a small turret lathe, consider yourself lucky. There's still a few people out there that use them (I'm one :) ) but they can be kind of a white elephant.

I bought and restored mine, pretty much knowing I'd be stuck with it 'til someone buys it, probably for scrap, at my inevitable, and likely epic, estate sale. :D

Doc.

The catch with these machines is every buyer assumes its in as new working condition......which is often quite far from reality......my estimation has always been as new condition is worth money,worn and malfunctioning is scrap.

Auction earlier this year had four B&S auto screw machines and several manual screw machines. From a 00 to an #2 Ultramatic, plenty of tooling, lots of cams, many new cam blanks, all of them still producing parts. All of them sold for more than scrap.
Save the negativity for where it's deserved, the chink hobby lathes.

Auction earlier this year had four B&S auto screw machines and several manual screw machines. From a 00 to an #2 Ultramatic, plenty of tooling, lots of cams, many new cam blanks, all of them still producing parts. All of them sold for more than scrap.
Save the negativity for where it's deserved, the chink hobby lathes.

Yes they can still do a good job,but,you need to know a bit about them.
What to do when they double index,feed length variation, turret dipping when in cut and may other problems. They are not a five minute job to understand.

What's a screw machine worth?

Nothing at all if you don't need or want one.

Whatever you are willing to pay, if you DO want one.

It's a specialized machine. Not everyone needs it. You have to find the person who DOES want it. That's when you find out what it is "worth"........ To them.

Sold for $292........what can you get for $292?......I had a hydraulic hose fail on my tractor ......down the local hydraulic shop,kid crimps up a new hose for me ..Chinese hose,Chinese fittings.....no the kid wasnt Chinese.....he might have worked a bit faster.....anyhoo ,including 10% tax...price is $240 ....for a bit of 3/8 hose and a couple of 50 cent fittings?

Back