What's new
What's new

Brown an Sharpe tooling question

Jeremiah L

Plastic
IMG_3101.jpgIMG_3103.jpgIMG_3102.jpg

I picked up these drill bits and reamers up at a machine shop auction. I believe, but have not verified that they have a Brown and Sharpe taper.

I'm trying to establish what they are, and their value, but I can't find anything exactly like them anywhere on the internet. I'm finding many B&S collets, adapters, etc, but not able to find actual drill bits and reamers. What kind of machine would these be used in? I'm guessing a lathe, but I really have no clue.

Can someone help me identify or validate that they are B&S taper form factor.

What is a reasonable asking price?

Last edited:
Drills and reamers usually have morse tapers. Milling cutters often have B&S tapers.
As to value, it is very doubtful that they don't all need to be sharpened and some may well be carbon steel. Value is about scrap.

Taper shank drill bits will generally have a Morse taper and they will have a flat tang for extracting them from the socket. Such bits are extremely common and are still being made.

Taper shank end mills will generally have a Brown and Sharpe shank and there will be no tang. Such cutters were extremely common over 50 years ago but I am not aware of any made in recent years.

Larry

Two photos of #2 Morse shank and B&S #7 shank end mills with tang.
Note that the length of the B&S taper is longer than the Morse taper.
This difference is more obvious when comparing the two tool holders.
The long narrow one is a 2 Morse I.D. to #10 B&S O.D.
The second is #7 B&S I.D. to # 5 Morse.
The second photo is marked with the measured diameter of the gage line fit.
7 B&S  2 Morse .jpgGage Line.jpg
I purchase orphan B&S tooling as it fits my machines.
John

Tooling question - Morse Taper?

OK, so I took these bits and cleaned them off with some denatured alcohol so I could better tell what I have... I also measured at the biggest and smallest Diameter of the taper with some blade calipers (see the pic). It appears that the large diameter is around 0.930in and the small diameter is around 0.775 at the small end of the taper. The taper length is around 3 1/4" or so...

Based on these measurements, I'm starting to think these are #3 morse taper and not B&S. The reason why I was assuming it was B&S is the lack of a tang on the end. At the time, I didn't realize that MT can come with or without the tang but read later that they are tapped for a draw bar in some applications. Also, from your table, there is no B&S numbers anywhere near the range of measurements that I'm recording. The measurements are close to a #3MT however. Any thoughts on this?

As for material and finish, there is a mark on each bit shank that says H.H.B. I'm not sure what that means, or how to figure out if these are high speed steel, carbide, etc. Any thoughts.

There is also the word Suisse stamped into the shank, which I think indicates that they are made in Switzerland.

And finally, it's not clear if I have end mills, or some kind of spiral reamers.. The end geometry looks more like an end mill than any reamer that I've seen... Any thoughts on this?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Taper Dia:
Big end --- 0.930
Small end-- 0.775

The sizes are as follows:
Drills:
1 1/4"
1 1/8"
1"
15/16"
7/8"
13/16"
3/4"
5/8"
11/16"
9/16" -- Broken
1/2"
3/8"
5/16" -- Broken

End Mills (HHB):
1 1/8"
1"
15/16" -- New still in wax
7/8"
13/16" -- New Still in wax
11/16" -- New still in wax
3/4"
9/16" -- New still in wax
1/2"
7/16" -- Broken
3/8"
5/16"
1/4" -- new in wax
1/4" -- Duplicate
1/4" -- Duplicate
1/4" -- Duplicate

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1467.jpg
    IMG_1467.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_3328.jpg
    IMG_3328.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_5291.jpg
    IMG_5291.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 168
Per info supplied by johnoder you have a nice set of #3 Morse taper shank tools. Taper is determined by the difference in diameters over an exact length spelled out as taper per foot or taper per inch.
The multi-flute tools can be used for counter boring a hole. A socket head cap screw might need a counter bored hole so it can be recessed below the surface of a casting or piece of plate. Use as an endmill, not so much. Too many flutes engage in the cut but okay for light finishing.

Union Butterfield would stamp their tools UB. The H.H.B. is just the makers I.D.

Modern enough tooling with a finished appearance that they are all HSS, High Speed Steel. HSS typically is stamped or etched on the tool to identify the tool. If in doubt run the tool at a High Speed surface feet per minute rate. If it overheats then it is carbon steel or it is turning in the wrong direction.

Carbide tools, no.

Morse and B&S tooling have more than one flavor. The tools might have the tang or else be drilled and tapped for use with a drawbar. Either way the tool is held and driven by the taper.

John

Back