What's new
What's new

Browne and Sharpe #2 fine feed attachment?

StrayAlien

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I've seen reference here and there to the fine feed attachment for the B/S #2 surface grinder.

From lathes.co.uk:

"As an option the makers offered a special fine-feed attachment that allowed the vertical adjustment to be set to just 0.0001" (1/10 of one-thousand of an inch) together with a plunger-type positive stop that could be withdrawn to allow free turning of the wheel"

I am curious. Anybody ever seen one of these things or have (or can take) a pic or three?

Greg.

Possibly as simple as what P&W used on their much more complex Jig Bores - a worm and wheel arrangement - the worm twirled by a knurled knob - and engaged/disengaged at will (you naturally don't make normal moves while engaged)

TP put this on some of their later surface grinders

My Harig had that, a worm and wheel. Worm and wheel always stayed engaged, there was a clutch that couple the wheel to the main wheel shaft. Ten turns of the fine wheel would move the main wheel .001.

Tom

John, Tom,

thanks. I figure it is going to be some form of worm on the column handwheel. I am curious to see how B&S did it on the #2. Like was it an attachment that augmented the stock handwheel/shaft arrangement or something that replaced it and how did it attach etc. I am not a grinder guy but I am bringing a 1928 B&S #2 back from the grave and, despite there being a fair few pics of various #2 attachments about, I never see on of this.

Greg.

Might be a version of this which was a thumb and fore finger operated rachet - the cross slide hand wheel having rachet teeth on OD. You are squeezing the two elements together at "A"

Common on their Universal grinders

You disable the rachet (necessary for larger moves) by lifting and rotating the plunger immediately to the left of "A"

If I recall correctly one click is two tenths on diameter being ground

Attachments

• Rachet Deal B&S.jpg
    Rachet Deal B&S.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 102

Back