What's new
What's new

BSA screw machines

K-2SO

Plastic
Does anyone know where I can find useful information on BSA screw machines? My shop has 3 and little information on them. More books than I care to read on brown & sharpe. Anything would help.

I used to rebuild them years ago. I liked working on them accept they had their own thread sizes. So if you take something off save the screws because standard or metric doesn't work. lol I never set up and ran them. The shops that had them had walls full of the cams. I bet if you put an add on Craigslist in Bridgeport CT you might get a bite from a retired operator who would come down to Florida in February and show you how for room and board. :-)

BSA ? I thought you meant Brown & Sharp Automatic screw machines.....oops

Birmingham Small Arms also made the BSA motorcycle, Mine had the 3 rifle Logo on the timing case cover. I almost purchased a small lathe chuck several years ago,That had the BSA trademark and stacked rifles, stamped into the front of the chuck face. It was too trashed
to even be a conversation piece. Dave [acme thread]

BSA-Acme Gridley?......scrapped a shopfull of these a few years ago.....no they wernt mine.......but were built under license,as were other BSA postwar machines......BSA took over Churchill machine Tools in 1960,and Alfred Herbert (sort of) in 1965......so machines of that era could also be rebranded ......previously there were BSA cam autos,which were there own,and also the BSA Potter and Johnson,sort of a cam op capstan lathe.You can always get info from patent numbers displayed,the machine will for sure have some US patents you can look up easily.

I remember seeing one in the workshop of my local college during my apprenticeship. I must have been going to the college for about 6 years and although it was set up to run I never actually saw it run and I suspect it never did.

Whoever bought it when the college closed would have got a bargain.

Regards Tyrone.

Back