What's new
What's new

Holbrook Restore

armach

Plastic
Hello all, new to PM. Just wanted to share I have a Holbrook lathe I came across in October 2018 and having fun restoring it. Still in teardown and evaluation but many parts derusted and painted if applicable.holbrook 003.jpg

Hi Armach, welcome to pm. Nice lathe to work with, what size/ model do you have? I see one pic, do you have more complete pictures to share? Bear in mind if not put back to as new condition/ operation some members may gently remind it's a refresh or refurbishment vs a restore.
Good luck, Hodge

Yes Hodge, I fully intend to restore. My main concern is bedway grinding, the cost of. I am giving myself two years for the task. Now is teardown time and I have several parts to remanufacture and parts to weld back together. I aquired an Everlast tig welder for the delicate task of broken parts esp cast iron. Or brazing if high strength is not an issue. I am derusting everything with Evaporust inspecting and preserving or painting. Process is much slower than I imagined. Much patience required. I am also preparing to cast new handles, but that is down the line still. Bought a crucible and made a wood casting box and bought a fifty pound bag of Bentonite clay from a well driller near me for the casting sand. Many new skills I have to learn.

OK I have many pics but I don't know my way around the forum yet. Made an album but don't see how to reference it or attach it. Old fart, new tech. Oh and I do not know which Holbrook lathe it is. Late 1930's early 1940's. Model T maybe. Not much info on Holbrook lathes but this thing is extremely heavy and built like an artillery piece. The "construction number is 7710.

There's a fairly active Holbrook group on Yahoogroups, if you haven't yet found it - a good source of info and encouragement!

It has been useful for me and my Holbrook C13 :) Brother in law's reaction: "It looks like a locomotive!"

Dave H. (the other one)

Back