What's new
What's new

Buffalo Iron Worker

CircleM

Plastic
Still cleaning the place

This thing is a beast. The sheep's foot is broken but all other functions operate. Idea on what it would be worth?

Thanks

KIMG0849.jpgKIMG0844.jpgKIMG0850.jpg

No business can use a machine like that anymore unless it's grandfathered, because they are just too damn dangerous. That takes away 99% of your market. If you happen across just the right guy, you might get good money for it.

I notice you aren't listing the sizes of all the punches and dies. Nor are you listing the functions on that machine. Does it have a notcher? Is that machine running or derelict?

Not knowing, I'd say it's worth about $20 a ton.

metalmagpie

Hydraulic Ironworkers have pretty much taken over for the flywheel/mechanical type ironworkers. An ironworker is, to a large extent, dependent on condition of cutting edges on the shear and notcher (if fitted). It is also dependent, to a large extent on tooling. This consists of punches and dies for various sizes and shapes of holes.
As much can be spent on getting the needed punches and dies as on buying an old mechanical ironworker.

In their day, the mechanical ironworkers were widely used in structural steel fabrication, as well as plate steel fabricators such as boiler works and shipyards. I've used both mechanical and hydraulic ironworkers. The mechanical ironworkers, for their rating, weigh a good bit more and take up more space, than the equivalent rated hydraulic ironworkers. The major feature that distinguishes the two types of ironworkers is the fact that with the mechanical ironworker, when you hit that foot pedal, it's 'off to the races" with no stopping. Once the clutch goes in on the flywheel, the ironworker is going to run thru a complete cycle. With the hydraulic ironworkers, you can inch down the punches or shear and even when you hit the foot pedal it seems like a more controlled action.

On old mechanical ironworkers coming out of structural steel fabrication plants, there is no telling how much wear there is on the working parts aside from the shear and notcher. I've used Buffalo as well as Peddinghaus mechanical ironworkers. On the older one, you hear the spur gearing clanking along, sounding kind of loose. When you hit the pedal, the sheepsfoot (stripper plate) comes down to clamp the work and then the ram with the punch (or cutting edge) comes down. Plenty of men lost fingers to the sheepsfoot trying to line up punch marks or layout marks with punches or cutting edges. Once you hit that pedal, a mechanical ironworker is going to go thru its cycle without any stopping it. In my opinion, the hydraulic ironworkers are a safer machine, aside from lower first cost vs mechanical, and easier to setup and move around the shop.

It is quite rare nowadays to find working structural steel fabricators still using mechanical ironworkers. I would no think that old ironworker is worth much more than scrap.

New shear blades and punches are all available from the big 3 punch makers in Cleveland.
But, as mentioned above, no shop with legal employees subject to OSHA is gonna buy a mechanical.
Your market is a one man shop, or a hobby type- and realistically, broken, and with minimal tooling, you will be lucky to get a grand for it. Plus its heavy, and a pain to move. Blacksmiths like em, though.

Curious if there is a spec. on these mechanical iron workers (Buffalo 1 1/2) as to how far the punch is supposed to go into the base die?
Have a stripping problem. The punch doesn't strip easily after punching a hole.
Have tightened spring tension for stripping to the point its real tough to pull the lever down to locate the punch with the center mark.
New punch 27/32, on 3/8" material. Lightly oiled punch too.
Any ideas?
Sorry if this is hijacking a thread.....
Rob

It’s been a long time, but there is some sort of a block with a few setscrews behind the cover above the punch. It’s related to the stripper/alignment lever interaction.

I had to recreate this block on my #1/2 based on a fuzzy photo copy and pure guesswork.

I’ll try to go through my Buffalo file tonight and see if there’s anything pertinent.

Back