What's new
What's new

Buffalo No. 15 Drill Press Chuck

OCJoeR

Plastic
I restore old wood working tools, mostly to keep my sanity, but that's all I use in my garage shop. I acquired 5 old drill presses and am keeping an old (pre '45) Buffalo No. 15 and a Walker Turner. The Buffalo came with a Procunier tapping attachment but no chuck. I was thinking about a Jacobs 14N 1/2" chuck. The quill on this press is 1/2" in diameter. I've been trying to find out what the diameter of the hole in the 14N is but can't seem to locate any info. I've found lots with Morse Tapers on them, but this press does not use that type of attachment (see photo) Anyone out there know if these chucks came with just the opening and if that opening is 1/2"? I'm not sure if I'm attaching these files correctly. Small Buffalo 3.jpgSmall Buffalo 1.jpgSpindle End.jpg

14n is Jacobs Taper 3. JT3 for short. https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/08590853
You'd need a tapered spindle end. Does the disk on the rt of the last photo come off, possibly by screwing the knurled ring down onto it to reveal a tapered end? Might take some mojo, or the ring and a couple of chuck wedges.
This catalog seems to imply that it might. Buffalo Forge Co. - Publication Reprints - No. 15 Heavy Duty Drill Press | VintageMachinery.org

Here's the parts manual. Buffalo Forge Co. - Publication Reprints - No. 15 Drill - Manual and Parts Catalog | VintageMachinery.org

Note in parts manual part no 11176A2 spindle for drill chuck. States JT2 taper.

Back