What's new
What's new

Needs Saving

johnoder

Diamond
A new idea of mine. Post these photos (I hope the photos are sort of permanent :D ), as nearly exact locations as possible, etc. Hope this induces some of you that are close enough to go and take a look at our fast fading industrial artifacts herein protrayed. Maybe even take them home and save them.

John

On edit 8 January 2010:

Removed a bunch of old comment type posts and all posts with expired CL and other links,except a few. Will do this from time to time.

On edit 18 November 2010

Cleaned it up again.

Last edited:
More info

This peerless hacksaw is going cheap and looks like a nice piece:
Antique Peerless Horizontal Hack Saw for Parts or Repair Prop Old Shop Vtg | eBay

Want it, just don't have the room.

So after some reading I found this model in a few issues of 1921 American Machinist.
Comparing ebay to the advertisement and a few pics around the web, it seems this
saw came in a few versions. This one was probably orginally belt driven. There are
other versions with different style motors. The saw appears to be complete, amazing
considering it's age. There is one blemish though, a weld. You have to look closely to
find it. But for **$125.00** how can you go wrong? (Providing you have the room).

I have no connections to the seller whatsoever. I just hate to see old equipment go to China.

dlb

Attachments

• Peerless-Hack-Saw-October-1921-01.jpg
    Peerless-Hack-Saw-October-1921-01.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 229
  • Peerless-Hacksaw-March-1921-01.jpg
    Peerless-Hacksaw-March-1921-01.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 261
Klopp shaper, Thiel punch shaper, Thiel die grinder - Indianapolis

I just visited a fellow about 20 minutes north of Indianapolis, IN, who has some very interesting machines and a large amount of hand tools for sale.

He's a retired home tinkerer who collected an impressive array of unusual machines over the years.

I'd love to get my hands on them myself, but can't figure out a way to move them home to Texas cost-effectively. He's looking to move them out in the next two weeks-- i.e. by the end of October at the latest. (Mod, if you could delete this ad on the 1st of next month, I'll be grateful.)

The shaper is a Klopp 725, the largest standard shaper that Klopp produced to my knowledge. 725 I believe refers to the stroke in mm. It's an absolutely massive item and includes the original vise. Built 1976 according to the data plate, and still resplendent in German machine green. If a 5000lbs lump of cast iron can be said to be sleek and beautiful, this one certainly qualifies.

Next is a Thiel Conturex 132 punch shaper. This machine has not run in many years, presumably because the owner got it home and then couldn't really think of anything to do with it. In my opinion, it's not a terribly useful machine for anything but punch shaping, but it may be worth keeping it around just to sit and watch it go every once in a while. Check out the videos of a similar Ruhla punch shaper on YouTube to see what I mean. The Thiel includes the small rotary table attachment and microscope.

Last is a Thiel die filer. Would go great with the Conturex if you were inclined to start making stuff with punches. This die filer is bigger than any I've ever seen: it's a whole console about 5'6" tall, with a broad tilting table and I believe a coolant pump. Only one file comes with it, so that will be your challenge with this machine.

I like unusual European machinery-- German and Swiss in particular-- so I would have loved to have taken all this stuff with me. Unfortunately the Klopp was too damn big to realistically move by myself, and the two Thiel machines were just slightly too large to fit in my Sprinter van without some dismantling. Instead I contented myself with buying a toolroom Nichols mill with vertical head attachment.

Make my loss your gain, and please save these machines. Prices are at or near scrap value. As I mentioned, the seller has an extensive collection of tools as well, so you may find it to be a real treasure trove.

The seller is elderly and not internet-connected, so please don't expect to do a quick deal if U LIKE 2 TXT. However if you are a reasonable person who can deal with characters, send me a PM and I will pass along the fellow's phone number.

I have no relationship with the seller or any financial interest in the sale; I would just hate to see these machines get scrapped. Particularly that big, gorgeous Klopp shaper.

Back