Builders Iron Foundry bench top surface grinder
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Builders Iron Foundry bench top surface grinder

So I've recently picked up and got (in some manner) running a cute little old Builder's Iron Fountry (Providence RI) surface grinder. What I was wondering is, does anyone have pictures of a complete one, so I can see what the original arm looked like, and the original motor mount. Also if anyone has a picture of an original manufacture's plate / nameplate, the one on this is missing. It took me a while to find out the manufacturer.

I've found a pattent from Builders Iron Foundry for a different model grinder with no Y traverse and the arm is just a simple fixed bar, but I dont know if this model was, or if the more complicated articulating arm that's on it now is close to the original. Surface grinder

The previous owner moved around / jurry rigged a new motor mount, but I know that the motor on these is supposed to mount on the backside, and I will probably fabricate a new, more secure mount, and move it back there. The jurry rigged one is only attached to the rear of the column, where the original wrapped around and mounted on both sides, with the belt crossing the back.

I want to get myself some sort of magnetic chuck for this, but I'll probably only be using it for removing fire scale and flattening forged bars, so it's not a huge deal.

What's a good price to pay for a used fixed magnet magnetic chuck?

2. Likes baldwin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice little grinder. $100 to $200 should get you a used chuck.