What's new
What's new

Burgmaster 1D driveshaft/universal joint replacements, alternatives?

martellus

Plastic
I just got a Burgmaster, that I believe to be a 1D, hooked up to power. Unfortunately, upon turning it on, I realized its missing the actual driveshaft/universal joint that I believe it should have (I don't have any diagrams).

The pulley on the motor end has its universal joint with a coupler for a splined shaft. The end on the head has a shaft with a flat on one end. I assume the end on the head needs another universal and a shaft to connect the two. Could anyone chime in if thats correct?

My question is, with the old parts website defunct, and nobody else seeming to have or make parts anymore, has anyone ever tried to find any alternative parts that could be modified for this use? I would like to get this machine running soon without buying another or staking out ebay, however optimistic that may be.

IMG_20200310_092613.jpg

IMG_20200310_092637.jpg

Close to 40 years ago a local woodworking plant had some kind of multi spindle drill with universal joints .
I seem to recall that they replaced the joints with some stock industrial universal joints such as those made by Love Joy and probably several others .
You may have to do some mix and match adapting or have a splined shaft made to fit your machine if you can’t find a good original.
This is the type of thing I was referring to .
https://www.lovejoy-inc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/universal-joints-catalog.pdf
Universal Joints - Lovejoy - a Timken company
Perhaps some of the smaller type of joints used on lawn and garden or farm equipment could also be close enough to adapt to get your machine running with minimal time and expense.
Here is an example I pulled off an image search so I cant say how good they are but there are other similar out there so you may be able to find something off the shelf that would be close .
Extension universal joint - PB-M32-16D-184+40(OD:16MM TO 50MM) - Hangzhou DJ Machinery Co., Ltd.

Regards,
Jim

Truck steering setups often have uni s and splined shafts so the cab can be tilted up.....Even conventionals generallly have unis and splined shaft in the steering....otherwise small tractor PTOs also have small unis and splines.....

Back