What's new
What's new

Burke MVI motor replacement ? Off the shelf replacement or modern frame designation ?

shadowfigure

Plastic
A friend of mine wants my Klondia- he's offered me a king's ranson and a non-working Burke MVI as Central Transport dropped his Lagun he bought from HGR. He got $600 for $4500+600 investment as HGR said "Past 30 days invoice" and Central said the Lagun "looked old".

He has a Burke MVI that was in mint condition until his apprentice decided that he would wire up reverse. The mill was wired for just forward. Apprentice screwed up wiring and that was that- magic smoke released and a burnt out breaker to boot. Apprentice is apprenticing at another shop as none of this was authorized.

Me pal has offered to throw in the Burke for free as my Klondia is a rather large lad.

My problem is that the motor was taken to a motor shop in Westminster SC and it was repaired. A guy came in, saw what he knew to be a rare motor, claimed to be the owner, paid for repairs, and took two motors and ran.

So there is no motor on this Burke MVI. I'd like to have it if I could get a 2hp on it and wire it for a VFD so I could have slow speeds and fast speeds.

The motor shop repairman wrote the motor was an 810 frame, 1200rpm, 3ph and either 1 or 2 hp. He doesn't know if that was all the data or corrl.

So does anyone know of a motor that can be purchased or a frame that will work a Burk MVI

Last edited:
No offense, but why would the owner of the motor shop not be responsible for getting you a replacement motor? (this may be of help to you also: Millrite MVI Cleanup )

Agree that!

Plus for ANYONE who is "in the business", he should be able to source a suitable motor better, faster, and at less cost to himself or to you.

Burke's horizontals are happy on DC with their lower mounting location as well general need of lower RPM. Good DC motors are not light.

Verticals, the much lighter 3-P motors, any given HP, whether fixed speed or with VFD for higher RPM would be far the better choice.

A friend of mine wants my Klondia- he's offered me a king's ranson and a non-working Burke MVI as Central Transport dropped his Lagun he bought from HGR. He got $600 for $4500+600 investment as HGR said "Past 30 days invoice" and Central said the Lagun "looked old".

He has a Burke MVI that was in mint condition until his apprentice decided that he would wire up reverse. The mill was wired for just forward. Apprentice screwed up wiring and that was that- magic smoke released and a burnt out breaker to boot. Apprentice is apprenticing at another shop as none of this was authorized.

Me pal has offered to throw in the Burke for free as my Klondia is a rather large lad.

My problem is that the motor was taken to a motor shop in Westminster SC and it was repaired. A guy came in, saw what he knew to be a rare motor, claimed to be the owner, paid for repairs, and took two motors and ran.

So there is no motor on this Burke MVI. I'd like to have it if I could get a 2hp on it and wire it for a VFD so I could have slow speeds and fast speeds.

The motor shop repairman wrote the motor was an 810 frame, 1200rpm, 3ph and either 1 or 2 hp. He doesn't know if that was all the data or corrl.

So does anyone know of a motor that can be purchased or a frame that will work a Burk MVI

My MVN has a 1 hp Baldor on it. 850rpm, Frame 182CZ. Looks to have a 1/2" thick adapter plate to mount it to the head. I've never had the motor off of it though, so I'm not sure how that is set up.
The one where I work had a weird looking Reuland Electric motor on it.

Back