What's new
What's new

Burke No 4: now to remove table

drcoelho

Stainless
I'm very green at this, and just getting started tearing down a Burke No 4 Milling Machine. I'm having trouble removing the table. I presumed that I remove the gib and the table should pick right up, but the gib moves only about 1/2" before getting stuck either way. Before I go pounding on this hard, just want to confirm I'm doing this correctly. All gib screws are all the way out, and the table feed screw has been removed, so it's just the table and the gib stuck in place.

I'm very green at this, and just getting started tearing down a Burke No 4 Milling Machine. I'm having trouble removing the table. I presumed that I remove the gib and the table should pick right up, but the gib moves only about 1/2" before getting stuck either way. Before I go pounding on this hard, just want to confirm I'm doing this correctly. All gib screws are all the way out, and the table feed screw has been removed, so it's just the table and the gib stuck in place.

Been several years now, but my recollection is that - much the same as the knee, once the gib is out there's plenty of room to take it off the dovetail.

Yah, I figured it out, and figured out why the gib wasn't coming out....there was a pin stuck in one of the gib screw holes that was rubbing against the gib...finally got the gib out (it is totally mangled from previous abuse), and the table just popped right up. Gonna have to make a new gib.

Back